Reply To: My 1999 Nissan Quest. I love this thing…..but I have to figure out the rough

New Topics Forums General Discussion 1999 – 2002 Nissan Quest My 1999 Nissan Quest. I love this thing…..but I have to figure out the rough Reply To: My 1999 Nissan Quest. I love this thing…..but I have to figure out the rough

prgonzalez
Participant

Lokahi,

It’s been a while since I saw you posting here.

The most common fault for misfire in these vans are ignition wires. To confirm, you can check the total resistance of the spark plug cables including the distributor cover. If the resistance is too high your spark will be weak or inconsistent.

Check their total resistance with an ohm-meter. From the connector to the internal post in the distributor cover.

Cyl 1 6.5K ohm max
Cyl 2 10.0K ohm max
Cyl 3 8.5K ohm max
Cyl 4 12.5k ohm max
Cyl 5 8.5k phm max
Cyl 6 11.0k ohm max

If they are over those max values or too close, replace with a new set of wires and a new distributor cap and rotor. One of the original brands used by Nissan are prestolite. When I compared prestolite with other brands, I saw the difference in price is really justified by its quality. And REMEMBER TO REPLACE THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP AND ROTOR too.

If the resistance is way bellow the limits, you could have an injector problem. Either clogged or bad. I would run injector cleaner anyways, use one that is safe for oxygen sensors like AMSOIL P.I.

Distributor failure manifest in a total different way, normally it will leave you stranded and it will have the tendency to start correctly when the engine is cold and fail again when the engine warms up. There are two common failures in the distributor, one is ignition coil and the other is the distributor bearing. I would recommend you to plan on replacing the bearing. It only cost less than $10 dollars on Amazon. The replacement is not difficult and it will pay off in the long run avoiding unnecessary headaches. The bearing is a 6000ZZ which can be found for 3.77 in Amazon.

Pedro