Reply To: 2004 quest passenger sliding door not working

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest 2004 quest passenger sliding door not working Reply To: 2004 quest passenger sliding door not working

deandome
Participant

the ‘nipples’ are called ferrules, and there common & available at most hardware stores. The process of attaching them to the cable is called ‘swaging’, (pronounced like ‘waging’ in ‘waging war’ You swage the ferrules to the cable with special crimpers…and THIS is where it gets tricky. For these cables, you need to make sure they’re REALLY on firmly. Given the cost of the factory part, buying a swaging-crimping tool for $50 isn’t the biggest waste of money, but it would be great to find someone that has one (or buy one, make 2 crimps & return it.

But what I want to know is, exactly how LONG should the cable be (not including the length of the ferrules)? I guess the tensioning wheels mean you don’t have to be accurate to the mm or anything, but you’d want them a little on the short side to allow for some stretching once they break in.

thanks for the measurement, and thanks for this timely thread; my cable is out as of 3 days ago.