04 quest engine stall

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest 04 quest engine stall

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Canada-Q2005 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

JuanMFC
    Participant

I will try to explain as best as i can, I have a 2004 quest, everything was going well until the speedometer and the gas and temperature led failed, it was fixed by a few taps but then it never worked again, I drove the car for a few months and about a month ago the front driver side abs sensor failed, I did get a new one but it didn’t fix the noise, I had to keep it disconnected, then the car started to stall while driving, some times it completely stopped or it just wouldn’t accelerate, I had to let it cool and then start driving again, no more problems, I got the codes because the check engine light was on and it showed a code for the cam shaft position sensor 2 I was told that I should change all cam and crank, so I did give original Nissan parts, it didn’t work, the problem was the same and the code kept showing, this time one more, gas level circuit, so I changed the gas pump and the spark plugs and the ignition coils, no improvement, actually got 2 more codes, comunicación failure with the computer and speed sensor code, I checked all connections and nothing seems to be wrong, I did not change the speed sensor, so I was told that it may be the cats, and that I should remove both o2 sensors, I did but other than filling the car with gases and making a lot of noise there was the same problem, the car keep stalling after maybe a mile driving, I just got the codes again and the speed sensor is not showing any more but the position and a few more ( all o2 sensor related) remain, I’m out of ideas and about to turn it to the pull a part junk yard, please any help???

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

It very well may be caused altogether by corrosion of the ECU. Pull the ECU and check if you have corrosion that penetrates its case.

JuanMFC
    Participant

The computer, it maybe failing, but there is no corrosion, I also checked the plugs and nothing noticeably as far as dirt, burns or corrosion

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

Download FSM and trace the electric diagrams to see if by any chance all the failing parts are powered by the same relay. I had exactly that problem with a ’93 Maxima for a while. It would stall and there would be no gas, tacho would die, and it would randomly restart. Found both were powered by one relay, replaced it and never had issues since. (After dumping tons of money into a new fuel pump, new distributor, plugs and wires etc).

The last ditch effort would be to check the harnesses for any chipmunk/mouse/squirrel damage.

kaicgatl93
    Participant

Have you thought about camshaft sensors. I had some problems with my 04 stalling and changed the camshaft sensor and haven’t had a problem with stalling since.

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

When you have a camshaft sensor problem, your engine stalls once, and then allows you to re-start, but only drives in like 2nd gear up to 30 mph.

If your vehicle consistently stalls and does not re-start, it may be the crankshaft position sensor. The OP seemingly have changed both types of sensors.

JuanMFC
    Participant

I did, both cam sensors and also the shaft sensor, it didn’t work

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

So no news thus far? Did you try to get a replacement ECU? I am doubtful that would make monetary sense at this age of the vehicle and retained value though. Don’t the ECUs ring like a couple grand new, while the used ones are a lottery?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.