05 Nissan Quest AC problem

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest 05 Nissan Quest AC problem

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  dtownfb 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

res0tm5t
    Participant

Ok guys I have a problem with a 2005 Nissan Quest that is driving me crazy!!!! Seems like the A/C is not blowin COLD enough heres what going on: I have a thermometer installed in dash vent & when the van is sitting still in a parking lot the coldest temp I can get is 65 degrees. When we get the vehicle moving the temp goes down to about to 60 degrees. Now we live in Texas where is DAMN HOT & I also own a Toyota truck which blows COLD no matter what, around 40 degrees with thermometer. Just hoping someone could help me out. I have changed the serp. belt a few years ago. I also had the notorious squeal when the A/C was on & the vehicle was started up. I adjusted the tension belt which fixed the squeal. Now I haven’t hooked up gauges as I dont know how to read them however I have used the quick checkers from Autozone to check the 134A which shows proper level. Any suggestions?????

Thanks
    res0tm5t@gmail.com

twinblown

Does your engine temperature rise at idle with the AC on? Check the fan motors; are they both blowing and are they blowing hard? I had this issue …replaced the entire fan motor assemly with a aftermarket one it solved my problem and AC is ice cold now. Chck my posts i wrote about it. Good luck

res0tm5t
    Participant

Not sure if the temp rises @ idle as I didn’t pay that close attention to it. I do know that it stabilizes around the half way mark. I will however check the fans today. I thought I might check them first under normal conditions take my readings & then either put a shop fan blowing on the condenser or water on the condenser to see how far the temp comes down. Nissan said it could also be a flaky temp sensor which I am guessing is on the lower/right part of the bumper cover. I will post a follow up as soon as I can. THNAKS!!!

res0tm5t
    Participant

UPDATE***** OK this evening I checked the fans. I started the vehicle & let it idle for about 20 minutes. I watched the temp bars & yes 4 bars is all I ever saw which you mentioned was normal. Gave up waiting for 5 or 6 bars & started to looked into engine compartment. I noticed both fans spinning at the same speed. When the air was on full blast all I got was around 60 degrees coming from the vent. I decided to take the water hose & spray the condenser. Once I sprayed the condenser I noticed the fans slow down & heard a click noise. I am assuming the ECM told the fans that they are working too hard, slow down as it is cooler. Then I noticed the temp was around 45 degrees coming from the vent. I did turn the AC off & both fans stopped spinning for awhile before they kicked back on with the AC off. Does this still sound like I should replace the fans? Is there some sort of temp sensor that might be flaky? I checked for blockage on the condenser found nothing but bugs & minor debris. I took a sheet of paper & verified that the fans were pulling air into engine compartment by sucking the paper to the outside of the condenser.

Still @ wits end, any more ideas?

twinblown

Well if your temp gauge does not climb to the 5th. or 6th square then you are not overheating and the fans may not be the problem. Just make sure the fans are blowing hard because even if they are blowing they may be weak as mine was the case; they were weak and sometimes only one fan would run. One was so weak i was able to stop it with my finger. You may now need the AC diagnosed…good luck again

P.S. One more thing….have you checked the cabin air filter? if it’s filthy or hasn’t been replaced that could be a reason forpoor cooling.

dtownfb
    Participant

There are a couple of TSB addressing the AC on the 2005 Quest. One has to do with O-rings seal leaks but the freon level checked OK. Another has to do with the thermal expansion valve. here’s a link to the discussion which has a hyperlink to the TSB: http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/latest-uploads/14880-ntb10-044-a.html

HOpefully this helps to solve your problem.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.