1994 Quest….is it an "interference" engine or not???

New Topics Forums General Discussion 1993 – 1998 Nissan Quest 1994 Quest….is it an "interference" engine or not???

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Durbanboy 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

chantel1971
    Participant

I have called dealerships and mechanics and researched online. And literally 1/2 of what I find says it is not interference and the other 1/2 says it is.

How do I get a definitive answer??? Anyone know the answer or know of a reliable resource? Help!

Craig Van batenburg
    Participant

Yes, it is a valve crusher. Timing belts are cheaper than engines. Do it and all related parts every 60K.

chantel1971
    Participant

What is your source on this? Thanks!

Low-PSI
    Participant

I had a ’95 Villager and I replaced the timing belt at around 100,000 miles. As I understand it, the early Quest/Villagers were non-interference.

There is a Villager/Quest forum on Yahoo that has a wealth of info.

chantel1971
    Participant

LOL…thanks. See, yet again I get 2 answers. Ha! My dad is a mechanic and he thinks that what happened is in ’94 the Villager/Quest merge thing happened. Nissan made the switch to a non-interference but all of the Mitchell’s manuals and all that just kept saying it was interference to cover their own butts.

Anyway, I’m just gonna get the belt changed and be done with it.

Durbanboy
    Participant

Yes,alas,it is an interferance engine. My timing belt went on my 94 quest and the pistons crunched the valves! Sorry to be the bearer …

Durbanboy
    Participant

All post 11/93 Quest engines have the round tooth timing belts.
    I’m busy doing an engine change in mine because it dropped a valve at 226,000 miles. I thought I’d let you all know that the engine is removable through the top as opposed to what the manuals tell you.
    Anyone ever looking to change an engine in this van can ask for some pointers from me.
    Lets just say that I’ve done the “impossible” by pulling the engine, leaving the transmission still in it’s mounts.
    No pun intended when they called this baby the Quest!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.