1999 Nissan Quest/Cranks but won't turn over

New Topics Forums General Discussion 1999 – 2002 Nissan Quest 1999 Nissan Quest/Cranks but won't turn over

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ricebike 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

killingthemonkey
    Participant

I have a 1999 Nissan Quest. I was getting off the Business 40 here in Winston-Salem when it just stopped. The engine died and I could not restart it. It will crank but will not fire.

Thoughts around the house here is that it is the timing belt. We’ve heard this is an issue with Nissan’s.

uncle4257

Firstly, STOP TRYING TO START THAT ENGINE…… You’re going to screw-up something inside; like bend a valve in the exhaust position.
    There’s an inspection port on the timing cover…… open/pop it off, and look to see if the belt is broken or missing from the gear. Get a shop book like Chilton’s or Haynes for $25. or less at the Auto Parts store.
    Get a spark wire tester too. Keep it simple first.

If the belt isn’t broken, try the spark tester and see if there is fire in any of the spark plug wires when you turn the engine over. If no fire that may indicate a computer problem, or a detached wire. You are limited by lack of tools and DIY experience.

Research first, read, before you GUESS …. it’s less expensive.
    Timing belts do jump position. IT’S WORK TO PUT ON A NEW ONE …… All points/positions of timing gear marks and valve cam marks is/are critical in reinstalling a new one.
    This is a big challenge for a DIY’ers, unless you have already done one on some vehicle.
    Requires tools and wisdom. You’ll do it twice/over again if your wrong.

uncle4257

Sorry, I forgot to mention the coil pack, if there is no spark.
    KEEP IT SIMPLE ….
    ===================

killingthemonkey
    Participant

Thanks. Tools aren’t the issue, but DIY knowledge is. I have access to my father-in-laws tools. He started life as an aircraft mechanic and works on cars too. Tools I have. Knowing what I’m doing? Another story.

killingthemonkey
    Participant

Thanks. Tools aren’t the issue, but DIY knowledge is. I have access to my father-in-laws tools. He started life as an aircraft mechanic and works on cars too. Tools I have. Knowing what I’m doing? Another story.

killingthemonkey
    Participant

Ended up being the timing belt. $500.00 right there.

prgonzalez
    Participant

Thank you for posting the solution to your problem. Nissan’s recommendation to avoid this problem is to replace the timing belt every 105K miles.

killingthemonkey
    Participant

Never made it to 105k. Only have 75k on it.

ricebike
    Participant

u lucked out that this is a non-interference engine…

it’s 105K or ~ every 7 years, depending on which comes first

looks like you got the most out of that belt before it dry-rotted from the various heat cycling in different weather conditions

ricebike
    Participant

how to you report the spammer?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.