2000 Nissan Quest coolant leak

New Topics Forums General Discussion 1999 – 2002 Nissan Quest 2000 Nissan Quest coolant leak

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  theradiostar 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

theradiostar

I know that I’m not alone in this. I’ve had this problem for over a year, but it has either gotten worse or more difficult to manage. I have a mysterious coolant leak that my mechanic cannot locate. Initially, he thought it would be a blown head gasket, but the testing he did said that was not it. I found that there was a leak at the engine temperature sensor and replaced it. Fixed that one, but there’s still the OTHER one. What happens is that the coolant level falls, van overheats, I add coolant BUT I think that I am getting air bubbles so I need to find a hill to burp the engine. I had to treat the issue last Thursday and it’s back again on SATURDAY! It never leaked that fast before! Difference this time: I ran the heater at 90-degF almost constantly since the refill, thinking that it would help me monitor the state of the coolant level. Does this suggest that the leak (or an additional leak) is in the heating system???
    Please list all mysterious, hidden leak locations you’ve found. I’m taking the van back to the shop in the morning to see if I can take a look while it’s on a lift. Thanks.

prgonzalez
    Participant

I know what you are going through. It took me about two years to find the leak on my van.

Okay, here are the possible leak points that are easy overlooked:

1. Coolant hoses to the throttle body. If you replaced them, make sure you add permatex sealant to the hoses and replace clamps with new ones. Don’t remember what permatex product is. But is it NOT GLUE. The correct one hardens but it is never solid.
    2. Thermo-element in throttle body. Replace O-ring of thermo-element.
    3. Intake manifold gaskets. This one is overlooked all the time and was the last item I had to replace to fix all leak of my van.
    4. Radiator drain plug. Replace O-ring in plug.

Pedro

theradiostar

Thanks-a-mil, Pedro!
    I’m going to run over to the shop and show the mechanic your list! I did see what I thought was coolant seepage around the intake manifold a few days ago, but it was dark.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.