2000 Nissan Quest leaking oil from over filter?

New Topics Forums General Discussion 1999 – 2002 Nissan Quest 2000 Nissan Quest leaking oil from over filter?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  theradiostar 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

theradiostar

This just started within the last day or so. Noticed oil stains on driveway and parking lot and my gut said it was me. The filter is coated in oil. It’s night so that’s all I have to go on. Is it likely the oil cooler o-ring???

prgonzalez
    Participant

Your leak it is likely to be the valve cover gasket of the cylinder block that is by the firewall. If that is true, you should also have an oil leak in the valve cover of the front block. The gasket is cheap at Oreily or Autozone. The replacement of the front gasket is easy. They replacement of the gasket in the rear is a real pain. I did it on about 8-hours of work and saved over $400.00 in labor. These gaskets start failing around 120,000 miles.

By the way, I always keep the engine of my van extremely clean. I can easily see any leak when it starts.

t bags

oil pan gasket

theradiostar

Nope. Valve covers are clean, and oil pan gasket appears clean, too. The leak is definitely from around the sender unit, where the wires connect. If we could post pics, I’d show you.

prgonzalez
    Participant

I believe there is a way to attach .jpg picture files. I have done it before when I posted the information for retrofiting HID projector lights.

ricebike
    Participant

that’s the only thing i can think of that is close to the filter

OK i read some of your replies & the switch/ sending unit is definitely bad… it’s leaking out through that part

theradiostar

So, this is NOT the o-ring condition that others are posting about?
    Is the fix to replace the switch/sending unit?

theradiostar

The leak appears to be from the oil pressure switch. It failed within the socket, which is common, according to the parts dept guy at the dealership. New switch is clean with no signs of leaking 🙂 Nice $23 fix. I know I could have gotten a cheaper version, but OEM just feels better.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.