2004, hum from the rear.

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest 2004, hum from the rear.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  TRCook 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Noco
    Participant

I just noticed a hum coming from the rear end of the car. It starts at around 40-45 mph. It is a steady sound and does not change when shifting. I can put the car in neutral at 50 and the sound stays. My guess is the rear differential. 86k miles on the car. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

cirrus
    Participant

Quest is a front wheel drive, so there is no rear diff. Any groaning or hum while driving can be your rear wheel bearing.

TRCook

I had the same noise on my 2004 Quest. It was the rear wheel bearing. I rode in the back while my wife was driving to figure out which side it was. Passenger side rear. I bought the wheel bearing from Rock Auto online. Had it in a week for much cheaper than the auto parts store. It took about 4-5 hours to do. Not a simple task but if you are familiar with working on vehicles and have a friend to help it is not too bad. Dealship wanted $600 to do. I had only one issue the wheel speed sensor is mounted into the back of the wheel bearing housing. I broke the bolt off. Suggest using a lot of PB Blaster. Had to re-tap the hole. Once it was together, Test drove and noise was gone.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.