2004 Nissan Quest burning oil at startup

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest 2004 Nissan Quest burning oil at startup

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Bookmdano 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Bookmdano
    Participant

Hello,
    My 2004 Quest at 133,000 miles suddenly started burning lots of oil at startup.A giant cloud of Blue smoke appears after start up and sometimes lingers for several miles and then clears up completely. Logic would tell me it is the valve guides,but this issue came up suddenly and drastically. Has anyone else had this issue with the 3.5engine. I replaced the PCV valve to rule this out as a problem. Could it still possibly still be a PCV issue ?

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

Stuck piston rings would do that. My buddy had a car which consumed lots of oil and the valve guide seals were to blame in the end, but there was no smoke whatsoever. So I am leaning towards blaming the rings. Get a mechanic’s opinion!

Bookmdano
    Participant

Thanks for the info Canada, but wouldn’t oil getting past the rings cause oil burning all the time and not just at startup. Most mechanics that I have encountered seem to suggest it is the Valve guides. I wondered if there is a way to determine this for certain. The Van runs strong, but The smoke is annoying and I am sure it will damage the Catalytic Converter very shortly.

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

Maybe a compression check at startup and then again when warm?

Bookmdano
    Participant

I had an experienced Nissan Mechanic do a compression on the front cylinders (2,4,6) He said the compression was pretty good at least on these cylinders. The back cylinders would require removal of the Intake manifold unfortunately.

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

Honestly, I don’t know.
    There are 2 sets of rings: compression rings and oil rings. If the oil rings got stuck, you’d get OK compression but the engine will burn oil. It’s really hard to tell. Like I said, my buddy did not have any smoke whatsoever, but had to add a quart of oil a week. I really wish I could be of more help!

Bookmdano
    Participant

What is weird is that it hasn’t been too consistent. This morning it smoked up for about 20 seconds after start up and cleared up. after sitting for 8 hours today it didn’t smoke at all. Some days after work it will smoke after about a mile of driving and then clear up. So I cant figure out what is going on.

Are there any additives that can be put into the crankcase that can free up stuck rings?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

How much oil do you have to add per week or per month?
    If you are not losing any oil, then it may not be any of the ring/valve seal problem at all.

Does she throw any codes?

How’s gas mileage? You should be in the 16-22 MPG range depending on driving style, I guess.

Perhaps see if EGR valve is stuck?

Bookmdano
    Participant

Unfortunately I am having to add at least one quart every couple of hundred miles. The gas mileage has not decreased at all and I get at least 20 mpg.

The CEL has really been on prior to this issue. It was showing a 420 code before even after I had one of the Cats replaced almost 2 years ago. I am thinking all of the smoke in the morning is not good at all for the Catalytic converter.

I will definitely check into the EGR valve.

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

Definitely burning oil then, and it’s more likely valve seals or less likely rings. I would imagine that at this age parting the van or selling it to a junk yard would be the best course of action. It’s probably worth no more than $1k and either valve seal or piston job is going to ring at least just as much, or more. If you can part it out and sell most of the working parts, you can probably save a couple K towards a newer vehicle. I know it pains to get rid of an otherwise fine vehicle, and I would feel bad about that, but money wise, it’s probably for the best.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Canada-Q2005.

Bookmdano
    Participant

Well Canada, I hate to admit but you are probably right. My Quest has been very good to me for a long time and I know now even without the oil burning issue I will have to have several other repairs done that will cost me more than it is worth at this time. Ironically the van ran great until I took it to a local mechanic to get the PVC valve replaced and in doing so he damaged the wire harness and caused it to misfire. I was able to figure out the problem, but that is something else that is not fixed completely. I will probably sell it as is real soon.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.