2004 Quest brake pads and rotors

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest 2004 Quest brake pads and rotors

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  thumper300zx 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

statman1967

Ok, so I managed to nurse 35K miles out of the front brakes on my 2004 Quest. I feel fortunate compared to other stories I have heard. Of course I did have the rotors turned twice; at 24K and 30K.

I replaced the rear brake pads at 32K about the same time as the garbage OEM tires.

I am wanting to know what other people may have found to be quality replacement brake pads and rotors to mitigate the brake system problems. Hopefully I can use the info to make a better decision for my front brakes.

thanks!!

NYQuest
    Participant

I like Nissan pads. Never had a problem with them. No noise.
    I replaced the front rotors with crossdrilled one. Love it, no warpage problems. I just replaced the front pads again the the rotors are holding up nicely.
    I just changed the rear rotors this weekend. Got blanks from NAPA. My briking is much smoother now. Old rears must have been warped as well.

By the way, our rear rotors are also like drum brakes. The parking brake operates like drum brakes.

cirrus
    Participant

NYQuest (or anyone that have replaced rear rotors), did you have any problem with removing the bottom caliper bolt on the rear brake with the car jacked up? The problem I ran into is the bottom caliper bolt on the rear brake is hitting a metal bar and preventing the bolt from sliding out. I am seeing the same problem on both rear sides. I will try to post a pic to show you what I am talking about. The pic shows the top caliper bolt removed and the caliper is pulled back.

Photobucket

afclay1
    Participant

I had my van on jack stands and I used the jack to move the rear wheel asembly up and down to get a good angle on that lower bolt.

NYQuest
    Participant

I had the Van on the Jack. I know not too safe. Maybe you have it it raised too high. It has been a while since I changed them, but I do not recall have clearance trouble.

cirrus
    Participant

I think I have an idea now. After using my jack to jack my van up and put it on stands, I will use my jack to jack up the rear wheel to compress the rear suspension and give it the right angle to get access to the bolt. I will give it a try. Thanks for your input.

markathome
    Participant

I was going to tell you to try and put the wheel back in its ‘normal’ position and you should get your clearance. How’d the replacement go? How did you get the caliper compressed back in?

supertecjaa

I WAS ABLE TO REMOVE THE CALIPERS. IT WAS NOT EASY THE BOLTS WERE VERY TIGHT. I AM UNABLE TO REMOVE TH ROTORS SO FAR. ANY SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR REMOVING THE REAR ROTORS. THE FRONT ONES JUST CAME OUT

NYQuest
    Participant

The Rear Rotors are also DRUM brakes for the parking brake. You have to loosen the internal pads.

thumper300zx

If you insist on removing the bottom bolts (not necessary unless you are cleaning/regreasing) the easiest way is simply to loosen them, then remove the caliper. Once removed, it will obviously slide right out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.