2005 QUest A/C

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Canada-Q2005 1 year ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

elegua1
    Participant

Hi, My a/c quit working on my quest, I wonder, I now I have to change the spark plugs it has been a while and van some times miss fire.
    Will this have anything to do with it?
    Or is there anything else to check?
    It is just blowing hot air.
    Can any one help?

Oldman
    Participant

Plugs have nothing to do with a/c, although you need to take care of the misfire. If you let it go a long time you run the risk of ruining your catalytic converter (causing code P0420) and that could be big money. Your code right now is probably P0300 (random misfire) or any one or more of P0301 – P0306, 301 being 1 cylinder misfire, 302 = 2nd cylinder misfire and so on. Your ac is probably leaking from the valves. Get a can of r134a that comes with a dye and charge it and shine an ultraviolet flashlight on the lines specifically where the lines connect to the condenser and receiver dryer , basically where the pipe meets another part. you can get an ultraviolet flashlight for cheap from amazon, the kit comes with yellow plastic glasses. they make the dye glow when you shine the light where it leaks.

elegua1
    Participant

Thank you for your reapond, I found a leaking hose. I fixed it. But now is issues after issues, I have a noise in the engine sound like engine is gone, a clicking sound comes from the area where the chain is at, some mechanic say it’s the chain other say is a peace near the chain that is broken. Eather way it cost around 1000 to fix, they have to take the whole engine apart to get to it.
    Quite frank, I’m getting to the point of trade, I use the van for work and is nothing but issues.

Oldman
    Participant

Good that the ac is fixed. That timing chain noise, does it “click” faster as you rev up the engine? If it does, it’s most likely the plastic chain guide that broke and slip downward. You don’t have to take the whole engine out, although it will be a lot easier that way. The timing cover which is on the ‘front’ of the engine facing the passenger side wheel well has to be taken out. If I remember right the oil pan has to be taken down to take the timing cover off. That’s what makes it more complicated. Here’s a youtube clip on replacing the chain guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI3xqgakdP0 and he has an update to it if you want to see more.

elegua1
    Participant

Good to know, I had 2 mechanics look at the van, one told me it was the timing chain the second told me what you just said.
    In the other hand the other and biggest issue I have is that the transmission is acting up, from park when set to drive transmission starts in second gear and gets stuck in second gear, I have to stop, turn it off, wait a boutique a min pit the key in on bring the gear stick all the way to the bottom then bring it to P then start and go, that works 40% of the time at first try, the other % I have to repeat the steps to get it to go, and when it goes transmission switch gears hard you can feel the hard hit when it changes. I check the transmission oil and it is clean and does jot smell also is not low. That right there scares me from the entire vehicle any vehicle transmission is my fear.
    It is about $1000 to get it fix that estimate was given by a transmission mechanic keeping in mind he never tested driven the van was just by me telling him. Of curse any mechanic will give an estimate in the middle could be more could be less but at the $ range…
    What do you think?

Oldman
    Participant

For transmission issue the most common is the linear solenoids getting stuck. on YouTube search for “re5f22a transmission the symptom the repair” by Hiram Gutierrez. It explains in great detail how the solenoids are fixed. Your mechanic may or may not have the tool to pry them open so show him the vid when u talk to him. If he has a good scan tool like the maxidas that Hiram uses he can check the transmission code first. Solenoid job should be much less than a thousand bux. Doesn’t sound like its slipping so the clutches and hard parts are probably ok that’s why I’m leaning toward the solenoids.

Lanka1
    Participant

Timing chain should be fixed as you will get almost like a brand new vehicle. Mine was done in my home garage. Only the timing case needed opened but most of the things in and around there had to be removed to get there. It is the plastic piece on the main guide that breaks and slips. I replaced all 3 chains. main tensioner and all 3 guides. OEM parts cost me $250 online and found a good mechanic
    on Craigslist who charged me $400. It runs like a new car very quiet. There is a class action law suit for this in CA. I would also, change both Camshaft Sensors and crank shaft sensors to see if the transmission like symptoms would go away. But YOU must use OEM sensors.

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

Fixing the Quest sounds like less $$ to spend than getting a new vehicle. Even if you’ll dump $1000 into the engine and another $1000 into the transmission, you still miles ahead vs. getting another vehicle which cannot cost less than $10,000 to be reliable enough. My 2c.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.