2005 Quest: Problems with accelerating

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest 2005 Quest: Problems with accelerating

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  hoffmanbrass 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

hoffmanbrass

I’m new to the Forum. First, I should say I love our Quest. That being said, I have several concerns as of late. We have about 145K on our van. The first problem I noticed was a lack of acceleration on a drive home one evening. It felt like there was just very little power for the duration of the drive, even if I floored it. I could accelerate, but VERY slowly. When I had my husband drive the van, the problem was gone (I had turned the van off before I had him drive it). Several weeks went by and then traveling back from St. Louis, it wouldn’t accelerate at a light, but then “bucked” and continued to rev too high…almost like it couldn’t shift out of what would be 2nd or 3rd. Upon turning off the van, problem resolved. Lately, I have had it stall on me twice, both times immediately after I had started the van, before I had attempted to shift into reverse or drive. I restarted and then had no problems. Today, I was at a stop light and when the light turned green, I stepped on the gas (lightly) and the van bucked severely…and then continued on without problems. The problem is obviously progressing, but I’m reluctant to take it to a dealer given some questionable experiences we’ve had there (the only Nissan game for miles). Has anyone had any experience with this? It sounds like maybe a computer issue? And, therefore, very expensive. We’ve put $2000 into our van in the last 9 months (brakes, tires, etc), so I’m growing tired of sinking $$$. Any suggestions? I hate to give up on our van, but its getting pricey. I’d appreciate any suggestions. Thanks so much!!

dtownfb
    Participant

My guess is the check engine light is on. If it is, you have codes stored in the computer. You can get those read by using a code reader or an auto part store will read the codes for free. Once you have the codes, post them the forum so we can help.

My initial guess is the camshaft and crankshaft sensors need to be replaced. Getting the code will confirm this. The sensors cost $60-$100+ depending on where you buy them. You can use aftermarket sensors which will cost closer to $60.

hoffmanbrass

Sadly, my check engine light is not on. My brother-in-law asked me the same question. What are the odds there are codes stored without the check engine light on? Thanks for your response!!

dtownfb
    Participant

The codes still could be there. There is no harm in checking.

When i had my hard starting and acceleration issues, it was the cam shaft sensors and VAIC sensor. But the “check engine” light was on and I had 3 codes stored. You really shouldn’t start replacing parts without knowing what’s wrong.

hoffmanbrass

We’ll definitely check that out. Thanks!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.