2006 Nissan Quest Axle Shaft Problem/Warranty

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest 2006 Nissan Quest Axle Shaft Problem/Warranty

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  youngck 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

kumara
    Participant

Hi

I have a 2006 Nissan Quest, and during my latest oil change today (AAA Car Care Center), i was told that i need to replace the Axle Shaft due to leak of the fluid on the front right side of the vehicle.

They have quoted about $1200 for the parts & labor. I wanted to know if this covered as part of power train warranty ? Because my vehicle is less than 5 years old & also the miles on it is ~$36K which is less than $50K.

Thanks
    Kumar

youngck

http://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/nissan/pdf/techpubs/2006/2006_N_WIB.pdf

POWERTRAIN COVERAGE
    • The Powertrain coverage period is 60 months or 60,000
    miles, whichever comes first.
    • This warranty covers any repairs needed to correct
    defects in materials or workmanship.
    • Powertrain coverage applies to components listed below,
    supplied by Nissan except for those items listed
    under the caption “WHAT IS NOT COVERED”.

-This is Covered-

ENGINE
    Cylinder heads and block and all internal parts, rocker
    covers and oil pan, valve train and front cover, timing chain
    and tensioner, oil pump, water pump and fuel pump, fuel
    injectors, intake and exhaust manifolds and supercharger,
    flywheel, seals, and gaskets.

TRANSMISSION AND TRANSAXLE
    Case and all internal parts, torque converter and converter
    housing, automatic transmission control module, transfer
    case and all internal parts, seals and gaskets, clutch cover
    and housing, and electronic transmission controls.

DRIVETRAIN
    Drive shafts, final drive housing and all internal parts,
    propeller shafts, universal joints, bearings, seals and gaskets.
    It should be covered depending on when you bought the vehicle, because if you have bought the vehicle in 2006, the 60 months would end this year. If you bought the van in 2005 as a 2006 model, that would be a different story. But still, A van with 36,000 mi……I mean….if Nissan refuse the warranty contact the Consumer Affairs Dept @ (800) 647-7261 and complain about it. Nissan needs to answere about the quality of their vehicles if they want your business.

If worst comes to worst, buy the part and take it to a mechanic with cheap labor.

Here are a couple of prices just for Axle Shafts for 2006 Nissan Quest (depends on if you have either a 4 speed auto or 5 speed automatic):

* Advanced Auto Parts – $69.99

* 1A Auto (www.1aauto.com) $94.95 w/free ground shipping (5 speed auto only)

Look at amazon.com, they usually have a free 2 day shipping.

kumara
    Participant

Hi

Thanks for the reply & reference. I did notice this section in the warranty booklet, but i was not sure if Axle Shaft will be covered as part of the Powertrain (Transmission & Transaxle section) warranty.

Also the vehicle was purchased in May 2006, so the 5 year is just around the corner.

I will take your advise when i go the dealer tomorrow. Also the parts at “Advaned Auto Parts” & 1A Auto seems OEM or third party manufacturer. Is it ok to use these & not Original Nissan parts ? (How bad can it be, if Nissan original breaks after 36K miles).

Thanks
    Kumar

youngck

Hey Kumar,

Do you know if that Axle Shaft is on the side that drives the car? And does your Nissan van have a 5 speed automatic or 4 speed automatic (Nissan Quest S & SL have 4 speed and the SE has 5 speed)?

1 vehicle can have 3,000 up to 8,000 different manufactures/suppliers that build that car. I use to work and deal with several automotive suppliers (TRW, Kelsey-Hayes, Kyocera, Federal Mogul, Centric, Delphi, AC Delco, and etc…) and alot of these suppliers make replacement/aftermarket parts for alot of vehicles. Suppliers have to make a bid on their goods and to prove that their replacement parts are as good or better than the original specifications (Both maker and supplier companies do tests before parts go on production). And alot of suppliers ship their parts to a packaging distribution and package them within the company logos and ship to dealers, distribuitons, places like AutoZone and Advanced Auto, and etc…

And to answere your question, YES, it is ok to buy from a third party other than the original parts. As a matter of fact it would be BETTER to buy from a 3rd party especially when the original OEM parts have problems and are defective. I have a left and right lower arm controls with ball joints that need replacement because the original OEM parts are defective and the Nissan dealerships are charging $290.00 a piece. Alot of the other service mechanics in my area are ordering the parts from Nissan. I got them for $100.70 per piece from amazon.com and the supplier is Beck/Arnley which is not to far from the Nissan plant in Smyrna, TN.

Other note too, some mechanic services might not want to put 3rd party parts that you bought cheap because they are trying to protect themselves and put on parts that they know. But really what it is that they got the parts for $12.00 a piece and they are charging you $69.99 to make a profit on top of their labor. Good news is there are other good mechanics that are hungry for your business and willing to charge you just for the labor. Those are the places that I go to now and refer them to family and friends.

But still if Nissan does not warranty the problem and charge you because they think it is your problem, I, myself would take a big shit right there and demand that they get that fixed or I will never walk into a Nissan dealership again and demand to speak to the owner of dealership and start writing names down for the Nissan Corporate Office call.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.