2006 rear hatch won't open

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest 2006 rear hatch won't open

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mywifes06 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Bumpus
    Participant

We have a 2006 Quest. The rear hatch won’t open. When you press the release button, you can hear it release, but it doesn’t open. If you use the handle on the hatch, it still won’t open. I crawled inside and got to the emergency release lever, and it moves as though it’s not attached to anything. At this point I can’t get the hatch open to even look for any issues. Does someone have a link to a diagram? There has to be a way to open the hatch….I just can’t figue it out.

Mywifes06
    Participant

If you can get the door open, at the top left corner of the door is a bar that attaches to the door that opens and closes it by use of a motor. It may have loosened itself off.

If you can’t get the door open at all make sure there is nothing that may have closed on the latch itself, If there is something there such as a strap or something you will probably be fighting with it for a while but eventually it should work itself loose.

The bar from the motor that attaches to the door may have came loose. My quest is doing the same thing. I went to tighten it down and it had already stripped itself off of the inside of the door frame. I was able to get the nut by closing the door and digging for it inside of the door frame. Of course all of the door panels were removed to do this. On the downside of this the nut was tack welded to the inside of the door frame, there is absolutely no way to get this nut back up in there unless I cut a small hole in the door where I can get the nut in there to tighten down.
    I will try to get to fix it tomorrow if I can, the problem is I’m going to have to fix it somehow or the back door will be useless unless I feel like opening it from the emergency latch every time I need to open it.

Mywifes06
    Participant

Well I solved my problem. I had to cut on the frame of the door a 1.5″ x 1.5″ square about an inch before the bolt that attaches to the door. I think it was the only way to get to it without having to take off the glass and remove sheet metal that is underneath the glass. Just enough room to fit my finger on the nut to screw the bolt back on and tighten with a 12mm wrench. I added an extra washer to make it a tighter fit. I also added a little JB Weld on the back of the nut so it won’t back out again. It took a little while cutting on the door because you actually have to go through 2 pcs of metal – the first one is thin, the second underneath the first is thicker metal. All in all I think it was worth it, I didn’t want to send it to the dealership cause they would have charged an arm and a leg to fix.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.