2006 Smokes on Startup- No Oil Leak

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest 2006 Smokes on Startup- No Oil Leak

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  dtownfb 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

NewQuestOwner2006
    Participant

I recently purchased a 2006 Quest w/64,000 miles on it. It runs well, gets solid gas mileage, and doesn’t seem to have a major running issue. However, it billows smoke for 4-5 seconds after starting. The smoke smells like oil, but there is no external oil leak. I took it to the dealership and they said it had metal shavings in the oil pan and that I needed a new engine. However, they wouldn’t tell me what was wrong. They just said it hadn’t been taken care of and I needed to purchase a new engine. The vehicle was a one-owner w/service records, so I feel that it had been decently serviced. Any ideas on what’s going on?

NYQuest
    Participant

I hope you got some kind of warranty when you purchased the van. There is most likely internal damage that is why you have smoke and the smell of oil. You might be able to get away with a rebuild, but that might cost as much as a new engine.

dtownfb
    Participant

Take it to an independent garage and get a second opinion. You need someone that will actually investigate the problem. You likely have a gasket leak.

You never mention anything about the oil level. I would keep an eye on it and make sure it is at the full level.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.