October 23, 2009 at 9:54 pm #826
My rear backup switch that turns the rear sensors on or off is stuck in the off position. The switch works fine. I checked the rear sensors and there is no visual damage. Acoording to the owners manual, when uyou turn the car on it automaticly goes to the on position. It was working fine when I came home from work, but on start up the next morning the light stays in the off position. Does antbody have any idea what it is. My car just went out of warranty. ThanksNovember 25, 2009 at 4:29 pm #3806
I have a 2006 with the same issue. THanks!December 28, 2009 at 10:28 pm #3920
I have the same problem, brought it into the dealer and the code said the switch is bad, even though it works intermittently. I will try to change it myself, looks not too difficult once you remove the panel in front of it. It’s $63 at the dealer plus $230 for labor if you want to pay. I’ll let everyone know how it goes…..January 25, 2010 at 8:17 pm #4045
So daveivaz…did you ever get the switch replaced? Did that fix your problem?
I have the same issue…but the switch doesn’t work intermittently…it’s always showing off.
I’ve been told that it could be the rear sonar speaker as well. How can you tell if it’s the speaker or the switch. Just wondering how yours turned out.April 24, 2012 at 5:11 am #5653
From the Service Manual for a 2004:
There are four modes of self-diagnosis; entering diagnostics, requesting number of fault codes, requesting fault codes, and idling or clearing fault codes. These steps must be followed in order. Self-diagnosis can be manually exited by turning the ignition OFF, or selecting reverse gear. Self-diagnosis will automatically exit if a message is repeated five times without acknowledgement, before reporting number of faults if no switch activity is detected for thirty seconds or in idle mode if no switch activity is detected for thirty seconds.
ENTERING DIAGNOSTICS MODE
1. Turn ignition switch ON. Rear sonar system OFF switch indicator lamp comes on for three seconds and then goes out.
2. Immediately push rear sonar system OFF switch ten times within five seconds.
3. The the sonar buzzer sounds once and the rear sonar system OFF indicator flashes once.
REQUESTING NUMBER OF FAULT CODES MODE
1. While in diagnostic mode, push rear sonar system OFF switch once.
2. The sonar buzzer will sound once.
3. Rear sonar system OFF indicator will flash once and sonar buzzer will sound once for each fault code detected.
4. There will be a four second pause.
5. The number of fault codes will repeat then pause five times.
NOTE: Self-diagnosis will exit unless requesting fault codes occurs before five repeats ends.
REQUESTING FAULT CODES MODE
1. While in requesting number of fault codes mode, push rear sonar system OFF switch once.
2. The sonar buzzer will sound once.
3. Rear sonar system OFF Indicator will flash and sonar buzzer will sound the first digit of the fault code followed by a one second pause.
4. Rear sonar system OFF Indicator will flash and sonar buzzer will sound the second digit of the fault code followed by a four second pause.
5. The fault codes will repeat then pause five times.
NOTE:Requesting fault codes will exit unless the fault code is acknowledged before five repeats ends. The fault code is acknowledged by pushing the rear sonar system OFF switch once (the sonar buzzer may sound). When all fault codes have been indicated, idle mode will be entered. See the following table for fault code identification.
Fault Code Malfunction Page Reference
1 1 Rear sonar sensor LH outer
1 2 Rear sonar sensor LH inner
1 3 Rear sonar sensor RH inner
1 4 Rear sonar sensor RH outer
Check harness for open or short. If NG repair or replace harness. If OK replace sensor.
2 1 Sonar buzzer
2 2 Rear sonar system OFF indicator
2 3 Rear sonar system OFF switch
2 4 Sonar control unit. Replace sonar control unit.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.