2007 SL – Highway Vibration?

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest 2007 SL – Highway Vibration?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  knight_six 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

mprentice
    Participant

We just bought our 2007 Quest SL on Agust 2nd. So far, we like the van and all it’s features. Great layout, responsive, and versatile for our lifestyle.

HOWEVER, we just got it out of the shop for the second time in it’s first 18 days of ownership. We’re getting an odd vibration from 70-80mph. If I set the cruise to 70mph, it will be fine for 15 seconds or so, then it will start vibrating. Then I bump the speed up to 73mph, and again it will be fine for about another 15 seconds or so and then the shaking starts. Anytime I change speed witin the 70-80 range, it will be fine for 10-15 seconds, then the shaking comes back. In all my years, it’s the oddest thing I’ve ever experienced.

It’s not so much in the steering wheel, as much as it is in the seats and the van as a whole. When the shaking starts, I can look in the rear veiw mirror and see the head rests in the third row shaking from side to side, and can feel the vibration in the front seats as well. I know a front wheel drive car will have some minimal, periodic steering wheel shaking, thats understandable. But my 99 Maxima doesn’t even shake this much.

The first visit to the service department reulted in three NEW tires, rebalancing, and remounting of all. This reduced the vibraion to about 50% of what it was. The second visit, they rebalanced, and rotated all the tires-again. This time no improvement.

Has anyone else found this to be normal? I had a 98 Quest a few years ago and I don’t remember this problem. I’m wondering if it is the 16″ wheels? The Goodyear Eagle LS tires? or something else?

I was going to take it back in today, but figured I would do some research to see if I am crazy or not.

rondatew

We purchased our SL the end of June. We took a trip the following week and vibrated and bounced the whole way. We experienced the same thing you describe. We have had 2 new tires, several balances, 1 new rim, road force balance, in which they scratched 2 of our rims, and we still have a vibration at higher speeds. I also wondered if I was crazy, but after going on a few trips it seems the hotter the tires get the worse our ride gets. I am at a complete lost. We have made 10 trips to dealership and that included our SAR not working, but from the very beginning we have been telling them about the vibration. If you come up with anything please let us know. Our two “replacement” damaged rims are in and will be taking our van in the end of this week for them to replace them and re road force balance. Wish us luck!

mprentice
    Participant

We took it in again AGAIN, for the 3rd time. We called the sales manager ahead, who we worked with and told him of our experience thus far, and the fact that nothing has worked. I asked him if we could drive another van, with the same tire combo we have, to see if we are being too picky or unreasonable.

He brought an S around, and we all took it down the highway. This one DID NOT vibrate like ours. It was perfect. When we got back I asked to take him for a ride in ours down the same highway, at the same speed.

Low and behold it vibrated horribly, and the sales manager was convinced. We decided to swap out all 4 tires on mine, for the others on the one we test drove.

Now, it drives like it should. It was definitely, the cruddy Bad-Year tires!

Rondatew-

I would go back to that dealer ASAP and ask that somebody test drive another with you under the same conditions. I’m not sure what state you’re in, but see if you have a Lemon Law. In Florida, if you take your car back three times for the same problem, and the problem cannot be fixed, the dealer has to buy it back from you. I think that helped us out. Good luck, and post back what happens.

rondatew

We took our SL back last week to have the two rims replaced that they scratched and they were going to road force balance them. In the process they scratched one of the “new” rims. Now we have to go back and have the 4th scratched rim replaced, then road force balance. But since we found someone and some other research we have found they are going to discuss with my husband our options on how to fix our problem. Will update next week hopefully.

cwmont
    Participant

Hi

Might not be your problem, but it can’t hurt to check. There is a recall on 07 Quests that can cause vibration. The summary is quoted below.

< <<< begin quote >>>>

Recalls Summary

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
    NISSAN / QUEST 2007

Recall Number: 07V248000
    Summary:
    DURING PRODUCTION, A SELECT NUMBER OF VEHICLES UNDERWENT AN OFFLINE INSPECTION AT THE ASSEMBLY PLANT WHERE A BOLT IN THE FRONT SUSPENSION ASSEMBLY WAS REMOVED. ON SOME OF THESE VEHICLES, IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THIS BOLT MAY NOT HAVE BEEN TIGHTENED TO SPECIFICATION WHEN IT WAS REINSTALLED.
    Consequence:
    IF THE BOLT IS LOOSE, THE DRIVER WILL HEAR A RATTLING NOISE AND NOTICE VIBRATION. IF THE BOLT COMES OFF COMPLETELY, THE DRIVER CAN EXPERIENCE DIFFICULTY IN CONTROLLING THE DIRECTION OF THE VEHICLE WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE ATTACHMENT BOLTS AND TIGHTEN THEM TO THE SPECIFIED VALUE. THIS RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 2, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.
    Notes:
    NISSAN RECALL NO. PB037. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO http://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

< <<< end quote >>>>

Thanks

slalomskie

what tires did you end up with? I have the same problem but my tires are do for replacement……

QuestEngineer
    Participant

The problem you are describing definitely sounds like tire uniformity, which is why replacing all 4 tires solved the problem. Any time the vibration comes and goes in a cyclic pattern like that, it’s uniformity.

If the van vibrates ALL the time at high speeds, then that sounds like balance, in which case you wouldn’t need to replace the tires, just rebalance them on the wheels.

Glad the dealership was able to fix it for you.

bleu50
    Participant

I couldnt keep the Goodyear LS tires balanced. I found out that both the front and rear were slightly out of alignment, had it adjusted and they still bounced.

Kumho 235/60/16 Ecsta KH16 tires took care of that problem. The funny thing is that it rides quieter, smoother and handles better than it ever did with the Goodyears!

wakramer

I ordered the Yokohama Avid TRZ 225 65 16’s from Tirerack.com and had them installed yesterday. I can’t believe how smooth and quiet the van is now. The Goodyears were really bad, one was replaced early on due to a pull, the replacement had a vibration and one of the others also had a small vibration at any speed.

May74
    Participant

I just got back from a trip to the beach and I noticed going over 70mph that my second row seat wear my 4y.o. was sitting was vibrating his car seat. Then I noticed that the 3rd row seats were vibrating so much they were making this really annoying noise for the long drive home. I have noticed this before and had the tires checked several times for balance. I even replaced all 4 tires w/ Continentals 225/65 R16 and had them rebalanced twice since Jan 09. I was wondering if it has something do w/ the frame of the car or could just be tires again??

ryany79

We have a 2006 Special Edition, and have been through the ringer in trying to figure out the vibration problem.

We are on our 2nd set of tires and have taken it to two different tire shops. Both tire shops have road force balanced each wheel and they both concur it’s not the tires / wheels. They are saying it’s something wrong with the car itself. The vibration is definitely coming from the rear.

Thanks!!

dzx6r2002
    Participant

it happened to my 07 quest too, I had checked the Wheel bearings both sides. Tire and Balance. brake rotors and pads. and also did aligment as well. These parts are still good.
    I finally found Vibration (shaking) cause by the hole piece of low control arms, the bushing damaged. I did replaced DIY both sides, it took me 8 hours, to get them replace, then get the car re-aligment again. It runs smooth now

knight_six
    Participant

I’m concerned that so many others are experiencing the same problem I have. I purchased a 2007 Qwest with all the upgrades at CarMax and immediately began having the shaking problem. I replaced the entire brake system, rotors and pads, both lower control arms and two engine mounts. At the same time, I purchased the Michelin 90k warranty tires. None of this worked. I had the front end re-balanced and the tires rotated 3 times – no change. I went back and claimed warranty and had the Michelin tires replaced with brand new again…did I mention I also purchased 4 brand new OEM wheels as well. NONE of this has eliminated the steering wheel shaking at highway speeds. Is there an answer to this problem out there anywhere?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.