2007 SL – my gas mileage is terrible

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest 2007 SL – my gas mileage is terrible

This topic contains 15 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  mkaresh 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

pthughes
    Participant

I have been following a number of the threads on gas mileage and I am in the camp that is not impressed with what I see. I bought a US based 07 SL with 18K miles a couple of months ago. My gas mileage is so atrocious, I am not sure what to do – but the status quo is not an option.

Recently, I have only gotten 13MPG or 19 Litres per 100Km – as everyone knows, this is no where near what Nissan says. Admittedly, this is almost all city driving but still not acceptable. On a recent highway trip, things improved to 18MPG or 13 litres per 100KM.

My question is what to do. What would the dealer tell me (or Nissan North America).

matthew_tran
    Participant

Mine model was 2005 (I think; it was the first year the new look came out). My average mix driving was about 21-22 mpg, and it is a SE model. I don’t drive it much; still only about 43000 miles so far.

f22boy

My wife gets a mixed avg of about 19 mpg. When she does more city driving it will dip down to about 17 mpg. On highway trips it will go up to around 25 mpg as long as you keep it around 65 mph. Once you cross 70, the highway mpg drops to around 21 mpg. Overall, I too have been disappointed but 13 mpg sounds like there’s a problem. Have you tried a fuel injector cleaner. I would recommend Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner. The best price on it is at Wal-mart.

mikeymike
    Participant

I only have about 4000 miles on my 08 SL, but so far I have been pretty happy with my fuel economy. On a recent trip from NY to Virginia, I averaged 27.5 MPG round trip with just a little bit of city driving in between. This is similiar to the mileage I got on a road trip to the Poconos when I first got my Quest.

I don’t know what’s causing your horrible numbers, but I found that my mileage improves when I have the fuel economy screen up on the trip monitor. Just seeing that yellow bar pegged at 30 gives me an immense sense of satisfaction. I’m sure personal driving habits are not entirely to blame, but it might help a little if you’re a little lighter on the gas.

swiftstang04

felt the same way when i purchased my 05 se. use 89 octane, fill your tires with nitrogen, use a 0w 30 mobil 1 synthetic, those things dramatically increased my gas mileage. you have nothing to lose and all to gain.

Carzzz
    Participant

Where are you located? I live in Canada, and i only get about 15-18L/100km (14-15 mpg)mostly city stop & go. That’s how much you get during winter! All cars have lower mpg during winter!
    Once summer arrives it achieves 8L/100km (over 28 mpg) on flat highway!

pthughes
    Participant

you’re comfortable with 18/19 kms per 100L? it’s killing me – there has to be something wrong with this vehicle – at this rate, i’m filling up every 300KM’s.

thanks for the reply though.

Carzzz
    Participant

Sorry about that i may have misunderstood your question. Actually all vehicles consume more gas during winter. I lose about 2+km/L during winter. Test this if you go on the highway often. Warmed up the van completely. Reset the trip computer when travelling at 100km/hr (62mph) on flat highway, could you get 10L/100km (23.5mpg) or better? If yes, then there is no problem with your van.
    If you get under 20mpg or less, then there is a problem!

CanadianQ2005
    Participant

I would not recommend any cleaners. They kill the cat regardless of what’s written on them and then you can spend the rest of your life proving that they did. In reality they do very little improvement.

Three things are killing North Americans: MSG, sugar substitutes and fluorided water. Google for more info!

dtownfb
    Participant

i doubt anything is wrong with your Quest. The reality is you are a driving a 4300 pound van (unloaded with no fuel) in the worst possible driving conditions for fuel economy, stop & go traffic in the cold weather. My wife does the typically “soccer mom” things. Most of her trips are less than 5 miles in stop & go traffic. She averages 14-16 mpg. I reset the trip odometer from time to time not to check mileage but to see what her average speed is during that time. It has always been below 25 mph. That tells me that she is doing a ton of sitting at lights/stop signs and not a lot of constant 35 mph and up driving.

We drove to Williamsburg, VA recently (great place to visit but bring your wallet) and we averaged 26.5 on the way down (warmer temps and no wind) and 23 on the way back (colder, windy and felt like we were going up hill the entire way). So my Quest is operating fine but the city driving kills gas mileage on this van. The reality is it’s a large, heavy vehicle.

Not sure if you reset the fuel economy button before your recent highway trip. If not, your gas mileage was better than you think.

P.S. – I live in PA.

2004 Quest S

mmahamm
    Participant

Filling your tires with 100% nitrogen would not result in any measurable difference in fuel mileage. The important factor is the tire pressure, which should be at 35 psi on all four corners.

Michael
    Northern Virginia

2008 Nissan Quest S

CanadianQ2005
    Participant

I am a slow driver and get much better than you both in city and highway. As soon as you step on it in any vehicle, you get worse mileage, whether it’s Smart or HUMMER.

My typical HW mileage is 9.6. To achieve that I don’t speed. That’s quite a sacrifice, isn’t it?

Three things are killing North Americans: MSG, sugar substitutes and fluorided water. Google for more info!

dtownfb
    Participant

If you can keep your speeds on the highway at 65 and below, you can probably average 27 mpg, maybe more if the roads are flat. In town (everyone’s city driving is different), it is dependent on traffic, lights, stop signs, local speed limits, etc. Speed is not going to help our mpg driving around town. My wife averages less that 25 mph for a tank of gas. This tells me a lot of her time is spent at stops signs and lights.

2004 Quest S

QuestSE-R
    Participant

HAVE THE 2007 QUEST AND I GET 26 MILES PER GALLON ON HIGHWAY STEADY AND AT LEAST 18-20 MPG IN THE CITY, ALL I DO IS KEEP THE RPMS BELOW 2K (2,000) THROUGH THE CITY AND NO MORE THAN 2K ON THE HIGHWAY, IT WORKS FOR ME

Meathole
    Participant

Lose weight.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.