3.0 V6 Timing, Friends say one thing, mechanic says otherwise

New Topics Forums General Discussion 1993 – 1998 Nissan Quest 3.0 V6 Timing, Friends say one thing, mechanic says otherwise

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  NissanGur 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Sobriquet

I’ve got a pretty tough issue to work out involving the 1994 Nissan Quest I’ve already made a down payment on, with plans to finish paying and have the title in hand on the 27th of July.

Problem is, the seller, and other Nissan enthusiasts, tell me that the timing is off, and it’s running on only 3 cylinders right now, and all it needs is the timing adjusted. I’m dealing with trustworthy people, as they are not strangers and I know them. I was told this is a non-interference engine, so the valves shouldn’t be bent.

I called up my mechanic this morning to let him know we’d like him to fix the timing issue, and he says “oh you’re running an 80 to 90 percent chance that the valves are bent, whoever told you otherwise is lying to you. It’d cost 4 to 500 dollars just to put a new belt on there.”

So I’d like to know, who the heck is lying to me here? I really need a car, and I just don’t know what to do now.

NissanGur
    Participant

I would check with another mechanic. Unlikely that the valves are bent. 3-500 for a timing belt change is within the range for replacement for the quest. The VG30E engine 1992–1998 Nissan Quest was modified to become a non-interference design. that he said the valves are probably already bent without first taking care of the timing issue, seems to indicate that he wants to set you up for additional charges.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.