Adding a Roof Rack to 2004 Quest S

New Topics Forums General Discussion Accessories and Electronics Adding a Roof Rack to 2004 Quest S

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Grabber 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

dtownfb
    Participant

I’m new to this forum and hope someone can help me.

I have a 2004 Quest S. For this model year, a roof rack was not available for the Quest S. The sales manager mentioned that he did not believe that Nissan would make one available. Something to do with not having the proper reinforcement in the roof???? I didn’t understand it either.

I’ve found a few websites that have after market roof racks for the 2004 Quest S. has anyone installed an after market roof rack for the 2004 Quest S? If not, do you know if it is possible or not?

Thanks

NYQuest
    Participant

I have a 2004 S. Mine came with the two bar that run front to back. I purchased the Cross bars from a Nissan Dealer for about $120.

dtownfb
    Participant

Did you buy yours new from the dealer or used? I bought my Quest in Dec. 2003. At that time the Quest S did NOT include roof racks. I know it became standard for the 2005 model year.

2004 Quest S

NYQuest
    Participant

New from the Dealer. July 2004

Attached files

Grabber

You can build your own crossbars. You need a pipe bender, a metal cutting saw, and you need to order a few fence rail end parts on the Internet. If you are willing to locate the front crossbar rearward, you might get away without using the pipe bender.

The total cost is around $20 and a visit to the hardware store. If anybody is interested I will put together a reciipe and take some pictures of my 2005 Quest. I transported a 23′, 80 lb kayak this weekend without any problem.

heteromyid

Sounds very interesting. I am curious how you did it. I have thought about making a homemade one several times. I have seen some on ebay for about $150, but I know I could do it for much cheaper. I am not concerned about looks b/c I would only use it occasionally. In the past, I needed it for a lightweight ladder.

Grabber

Take a look at “Fence End Rail clamps” http://www.hooverfence.com/catalog/cpage43.htm. These are used to make dog kennels out of fence rails. I bought 1-3/8″x1-3/8″ locally but you would be better finding or ordering 1-5/8″x1-3/8″ because the Quest side rails are 1-1/2″. I covered my side rails with duct tape but rubber pads and a 1-5/8″ clamp would probably be better because I may have marred the side rails. I use foam kayak pads which are only $6 each at Joe’s (link below). Yakima and Thule accessories would need special clamps to work because the cross bar is 1-3/8″. I might consider drilling holes in the bars to mount Yakima accessories.
    http://www.joessports.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2295708&cp=&view=all&keywords=riverside&searchId=30452621643&parentPage=search

dtownfb
    Participant

Never thought of building my own. I’ll have to look at the pictures.

2004 Quest S

Grabber

I am going to try to complete my second generation crossbars this weekend. I will reply with photos when complete. I found 1-5/8″ end rail clamps at a local hardware store.

heteromyid

Those end rail clamps are a great idea. I’ll have to try it. I may just pad them with some outdoor faucet/pipe insulation foam or something to protect the finish on the roof rack.

Grabber

I have built my second set of rails. I cut up a paint roller to make bushings to take up the slack in the 1-5/8″ clamps, but they are still a little loose. I am going to cut some rubber pads and glue them to the clamps. By cutting 4, 6″ pieces of 1-3/8″ pipe to raise the cross bars, I avoided having to do any bending or welding. My parts lists is 1 10′ 1-3/8″ fence rail, 4 1-3/8″ end clamps, 4 1-5/8″ clamps, 8 2″ galvanized bolts, 4 nuts, 4 wingnuts. Total cost is around $40.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.