ALERT – ECM Malfunction due to Premature Corrosion

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest ALERT – ECM Malfunction due to Premature Corrosion

This topic contains 80 replies, has 50 voices, and was last updated by  theuftcenter 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)
  • Author

tonyc

While driving, van started loosing power, brought it to my mechanic, he found the ECM was not sending power to the fuel injector. He called Nissan who said the ECM’s have started corroding and most likely a hole in it; the location of the ECM on the 2004’s has caused rusting problems, in newer models they have repositioned it to elimate the problem. I towed the van to Nissan, they said ECM is now working but yes is rusted and should be replaced, and I’m at 135,000KMs no longer under warranty, and part ($1200)is on a 3 week back order, so had to go get the van and park in my driveway until the part arrives. QUESTION – if Nissan are aware that the ECM’s are rusting out prematurely due to bad part placement, why keep it a secret. I just bought out the lease last year, had I known of this problem I would have had the ECM replaced under warranty or not bought the van.

The dealership says nothing they can do, Nissan Canada says nothing they can do.

ALERT: if you have the 2004, get the ECM looked at ASAP, if signs of rust or corrosion, get it replaced before you hit 130,000KM warranty mark.

happy_es300

hey id like to check out my ecm, whereabouts is it located?

is this why my van will stall out at low speeds? im going to crash it in to the dealer if it is.

Nhan070
    Participant

ALERT: if you have the 2004, get the ECM looked at ASAP, if signs of rust or corrosion, get it replaced before you hit 130,000KM warranty mark.

Thanks for the warning here! It would be great if you elaborate a bit on what is the ECM and where it is located on the vehicle for the rest of us folks to check.

Nhan070
    Participant

Ok, I searched the service manual and ECM is Engine Control Module. Base on the info. from the serv. man., the ECM is a vital part of the car providing controls to every electronic base system.

From the serv. man.:
    ECM is located in the right side of the cowl top (behind the strut
    tower).

jhansis
    Participant

I want to thank you for your posting, I just had to take my 2004 quest in because it would not start (after being parked for two months) they found that the ECM was completely rusted out, and had holes causing it to fail. I have been told that it will not be covered by warrenty, even though I am under 60,000 miles, would you be able to give me the dealer who serviced your van? It may help my case. The part is on back order (no doubt because of demand) and we will not see our van for another month. No body will retrun my calls and have contacted a class action firm, who seems interested.

Please get the word out..

Thanks

jhansis
    Participant

Have you had you van in for service? I have mine in and found the ECM is trashed because of rust/corrosion. Nissan will not honor my warrenty (van has 58K) so I have contacted a class action firm to see if this problem is wider then nissan lets out.

Thanks

John Hansis

jhansis
    Participant

have you checked out your ecm? we would like any info on it, possible class action.

thanks

john

nissan_ma
    Participant

Hi John

My van wouldn’t start (76k miles) and I had it towed to the dealer 2.5 weeks ago – they said that the ECM was completely corroded and that the location of it was poor and would lead to the corrosion. It took 2.5 weeks to get a part and it is now fixed, but Nissan will not cover the repairs. They said that it wasn’t covered under the 8 yr/80k emissions warranty because it wasn’t an internal defect of the ECM but instead rust and corrosion that led to it’s malfunction (??!?!). In any case, I am sure that this is a wider problem than Nissan lets on and the dealer said that the new ECM would probably end up corroding again. I would be interested in class action.

Also see the following link http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/quest/6380-computer-problems-2004-quest.html

2peaches2oranges
    Participant

I am wondering if there is a way to cover this part, literally, I mean somehow prevent it from the elements and eventual corrosion and rusting out?

Is this something that gets wet due to rain, snow, etc?

dtownfb
    Participant

I think you need to apply more pressure. I don’t believe this is what the 8/80k miles emissions warranty states and the lack of protection of this part can be attributed to the poor design by Nissan. In this case, I think a class action lawsuit is warranted.

2004 Quest S

jhansis
    Participant

Hi, I will be going ahead with the suit, I am finally picking up my van after 1.5 months and will be paying the 1296 out of my pocket.

please send me your contact info and story, I will pass it on to the firm handling the case

thanks

John

jhansis
    Participant

have you had any issues with your ecm,,,? I am proceeding with class action.

thanks

john hansis
    jhansis@ameritech.net

Carzzz
    Participant

I have a 05 and i think ECM is at the same location as 04. Mine is located mounted above the power steering and close to the right strut.

mmike
    Participant

please follow this link because I can’t get the pictures to post on this forum. Thanks!

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/quest/6380-computer-problems-2004-quest-2.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.