Bleeding Calipers on an 06 Quest S

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest Bleeding Calipers on an 06 Quest S

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  briankmizell 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

tacticaldriver
    Participant

I recently replaced my rotors and pads up front and found that both front calipers were damaged beyond repair. to the point that they damaged the old pads and rotors. I replaced both of them, but I am now having a problem bleeding them to restore firmness the brake pedal. The vehicle stops fine, but the pedal is spongy. Does anyone have any suggestions on bleeding them. I tried having someone pump them while I open the bleeder valve, and I’ve used a vacuum pump as well. They seem to be a little more firm since using the vacuum pump, but still spongy.

melcbru
    Participant

I am having the same issue. we replaced the rotors in the front and the caliper on the driver side, plus the brakes on the front. Now when I drive it, the brake peddle wants to go to the floor, unless I pump it a couple times. Thought maybe the master cylinder was going out, but wouldn’t that cause it to do it all the time not just here and there?

pitteach
    Participant

I recently had the same issue with my 2005. Make sure that the van is completely level when bleeding and make sure to follow the proper sequence (I believe it is RR, LF, LR, LF but I don’t remember exactly.) I’m still having an issue with a spongy pedal, but I don’t think it was due to the bleeding. I think it may be leaky rear calipers or the master. I’m keeping an eye on the fluid level. I have decent pedal , but the brakes just don’t feel “sticky” enough.

briankmizell
    Participant

The Nissan dealer told me it was the master cylinder and the ABS Actuator, but he could not garuntee that replacing these parts would fix my problem.

Below is the trouble I am having.

2004 Quest Brake trouble

——————————————————————————–
    I need some help figuring out ABS brake problmes on a 2004 Nissan Quest Van

To try and make a long story short, I will just say that the van keeps eating through high dollar brake pads (ceramic pads) very very quickly.

It only wears out the right front and the left rear. It also keeps warping these two rotors because of the intense demands being placed on them to stop the vehicle. (even worse when there is 8 people in the van and enough lugage for those 8 to last 7 days.)

I changed the front & rear pads just before going on our cruise, We drove from Fort Smith Arkansas to Galveston Texas & back (approx 1200 round trip)

When we left Galveston (we got a late start because the boat had engine trouble and we were delayed about 3 hours) everything seemed fine.

By the time I started hearing the brakes making noises we were no where near a parts store and when we got to one it was closed. So I had to drive the rest of the way home without replacing them.

After getting home and inspecting them, the front right rotor is warped again, and the pads had heat stress cracks in them. The left rear pad on the inside had wore all the way off and the rotor is trashed (beyond re-surfacing it) It also got so hot the seal on the caliper piston had burnt and caused it to stop working.

I have replace the rotors, rear caliper and all pads (AGAIN!!!)

In the past my problem was always that i couldnt get the left front & right rear to bleed, no fluid will come out when you try to bleed them. but if i just open the bleeders and let it sit, the fluid will sooner or later begin to drip. I dont know what the problem is here. I do this and then put it back together and drive it a while and they seem to work out the problem on their own.

This time the same thing happened as before (not being able to properly bleed left front and right rear) but the left rear this time gave me a different problem.

I put on the new rotor and caliper, (left rear) when I start tightening the bolts to hold the caliper to the bracket the rotor would not turn. The odd thing is that I looked at the piston on that caliper and it was not even making contact with the brake pad.

Everything is on correctly, I checked all the parts numbers and they are the correct parts.

I put everything back together and took it for a drive. The left rear brake drags all the time and is getting hot, (only after 1/2 mile I can smell the hot brake pads) the right front brake now makes a clanking noies when applied, like something is loose (metal hitting against metal), if i gradualy applie more pressure the clanking noise goes away.

There are post all over the net about 2004 Nissan Quest having brake issues, but none of them talk about the brakes acting like mine does.

If anyone is knowledgeable about ABS brake systems and could help me out, please private message me or reply here.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.