Blown head gasket?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  CanadaQ2005 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

kesleyclan
    Participant

Yesterday my wife had some problems with the 04 Quest. I went to check on her and I’m afraid it’s a blown head gasket. It was difficult to start, then when it did start it ran rough and quite a bit of WHITE smoke came out the back. I got it to the mechanic who is looking it over. It was very hesitant when first taking off at a red light, etc. When I got it to the shop and turned it off, it was not smoking at all. It started right up without hesitation and absolutely no smoke. I didn’t notice the temperature gauge as I was preoccupied at the time! So while I’m waiting for the verdict, has anyone had any other experiences like this that turned out to NOT be a blown head gasket? Or if anyone has had a head gasket replaced, what kind of $$$ am I looking at? I’m almost ready to sell/trade it but we love the luxury features and everything about the van. Please provide your thoughts! Thanks!

kesleyclan
    Participant

Well, the source of the smoke is not coolant. It’s oil. They fear a complete engine replacement will be needed, but are going to keep looking into it. 135,000 miles and already needs an engine replaced? Come on, really? Anyone had any experiences to share? Yikes. I’m just shell-shocked right now. I hope they find something else that I can afford to fix.

kesleyclan
    Participant

Latest update!! My wife pulled into the gas station in our other van and went to put in some gas. It then hit her what has probably happened. She almost put diesel gas into our other van as the pump handles are side-by-side on the same station. Further, the diesel nozzle is the exact same size as the gasoline pump, not larger in diameter as other diesel pumps are. She’s fairly certain that she put about 3-4 gallons of diesel into a tank that was almost empty. Within a few miles of the gas station, she started having problems. Typically this should not permanently damage the engine and it should be able to be drained and flushed, right? I can’t wait to give this information to the shop tomorrow. I really pray that this is the problem! Again I ask the group, any experiences with this? Thanks and good night!

kesleyclan
    Participant

Well, the culprit was in fact diesel fuel. They drained, flushed, cleaned, etc. for a total damage of $232.52. Not bad considering I was fearful of a head gasket or even an engine replace. Needless to say, my wife has said this is one event that won’t be repeated as she will check and double-check every time before filling with gas!!!!

CanadaQ2005
    Participant

You have to check the antifreeze. When gasket is blown, it will be brownish in colour and thickness of custard in cases when it was blown for quite some time.

If it was just blown, you’ll see antifreeze ‘boiling’, when bubbles rise from the radiator all the time, the more the faster the engine RPMs are.

You got lucky.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.