Can't open rear hatch, handle broke

New Topics Forums General Discussion 1993 – 1998 Nissan Quest Can't open rear hatch, handle broke

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mommy2013 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

PascoDoug
    Participant

The handle on the rear hatch of my 1996 Quest broke the other day and now I can’t get the hatch open even if it is unlocked. It made a muffled “pop” when I went to open it and the handle became loose as if the spring or tension bar that connects it inside the door is detached. Is there some emergency release or some other way to disengage the latch and get the hatch open? Tomorrow or this weekend I’m going to try and clear the junk out I have stowed in the back of the van so I can remove the interior hatch trim and see if I can access the locking mechanism. If anyone has any tips or advice please share. Thanks!

Mommy2013
    Participant

Nissan needs to be held accountable for this issue. For a brand new nissan maxima only 6 yrs old with a mileage of 55,000 to have an outrageous sevice fee of $1,500 is criminal to say the least. I started hearing a noise that sound like a chain or screws was jingling under the hood took it to the dealership & was told that I needed a timing chain. Couldn’t believe it so I took it to several mechanics who stated that there should never be an issue with the timing chain on Nissan cars. One mechanic stated that the problem is that Nissan put a low grade piece of material that goes around the chain and it the chain wears the material down. When the car reaches a certain mileage you will hear this noise. And apparently Nissan knew this. But instead of calling it a recall they decided to make it an upgrade. How dare they. This is deceitful. They should be brought up on charges. And the kicker is that only Nissan can repair this. No mechanic will touch the job because only Nissan has the proper tools to fix it and the labor is what really cost.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.