Choppy air sound from round muffler water hole

New Topics Forums General Discussion 1999 – 2002 Nissan Quest Choppy air sound from round muffler water hole

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  prgonzalez 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Selectmarc
    Participant

2002 quest. Choppy air sound from water hole in round muffler. Can’t hear it at idle but gets louder when I accelerate. What could be causing this? Also has rough idle, about 550 rpms.

prgonzalez
    Participant

Selectmarc,

The idle of this engine has to be 750+/-50 RPM. 550 is too low. I would check/replace the idle air control valve (IACV) located on top of the throttle body. Other causes for rough idle are: spark plug, ignition wires, distributor cap, and distributor rotor. Is Service Engine Light ON?

Which muffler has the hole? counting from the engine back.

Selectmarc
    Participant

hello, thank you for responding. looking at both mufflers, they both have a small water hole. the round cylinder shaped is 1, the regular shaped is 2.

I’m hoping cleaning the throttle body will help, which i’ll be doing today, if not i will be ordering the iacv.

Thanks for the input!

Selectmarc
    Participant

I forgot to mention, check engine light is not on. only a pending code for knock sensor.

prgonzalez
    Participant

Do you have the service manual?

Before you purchase the IACV, check timing and try to adjust engine idle speed. Let me know if you need help on this.

Selectmarc
    Participant

yes, i’vs been trying to figure out how to adjust the iacv. your help s definitely appreciated. I don’t have a service manual, my local AutoZone doesn’t have it.

prgonzalez
    Participant

You can download the full service manual from http://www.nicoclub.com. To to SERVICE MANUALS at the right top corner of the screen. Once you download them, I can direct you to different parts of the manual to start testing some components. Please do not start spending money without confirming the part needs to be replaced. That way of repair could be too costly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.