Confused Woman. Thought we had found and fixed the problem but apparently not :(

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest Confused Woman. Thought we had found and fixed the problem but apparently not :(

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  JaimieLove 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

JaimieLove
    Participant

I just recently purchased my 2004 Quest and was told that the camshaft senors needed to be replaced. The van will start and run fine but once turned off for more than five mins it will not start again for roughly 45 mins. Ordered the part and had my mobile mechanic install them. That didn’t fix the problem. Mechanic then put in the crankshaft sensor as well. Still no fix. Any ideas what might need to be done? Mechanic is currently on vacation and not knowing what my van needs is irritating. He did mention something about fuel pumps, maybe misfires, and The O2 sensor, but no definate answers.
    P.S. I’m a learner when it comes to car troubles. I’d love to learn more about my car troubles but may not always know exactly what parts you may be talking about. Explanations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks 🙂

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

Something tells me the problem may be with the coolant temp sensor of any other temperature sensors that may be there. Are you getting correct reading from the thermometer on the dash?

The fuel pump is one of the most reliable parts in the vehicle, if your van drives fine, the pump should be fine.

If the engine misfired, there should be error codes that can be read with an OBD II sensor. Those are cheap, you can buy your own from ebay and read the codes yourself. It always helps to know the codes before asking in the forums as the codes can be specific, though some codes may be pretty vague.

JaimieLove
    Participant

I’m actually not able to tell if the temp gage on the dash is correct or not. The display ribbon has been messed with by the previous owner and doesn’t display temp or fuel levels clearly. The car doesn’t seem to overheat enough to effect driving or performance though.

The van drives okay most the time. Other times I worry a little just because the check engine light and tire pressure lights go on and off a lot. I’m not sure if that has something to do with the display ribbon being messed up or not.

My mechanic did run a scan on the engine for codes but I’m not sure I remember what they were. I know for sure that the O2 sensor needs replaced and I need a new timing belt component kit 😳😝😕🙄

JaimieLove
    Participant

Also… A few times I have left the car on and idling for around 30 mins and the engine will just shut itself off. I then have to wait the 45 mins for it to cool before it will restart.
    On a four hour trip the van ran for two hours until we stop through a drive through and then started putting like it was out of gas and wouldn’t accelerate. I had to turn the car off and again wait the 45 mins for it to cool.

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

Do you mean that you have dropped out segments on the LCD fuel/temp indicator? This is from old age, mine is doing that when colder outside. The previous owner probably did nothing to the display.

You really need to read the OBDII codes, without them you have no idea what the ECU thinks the problem is.

JaimieLove
    Participant

The guy we bought it from told us that he tried to change the display himself… Didn’t say why though. Mechanic said codes where coming up for fuel level sensor and lean both banks… And then the one for the O2 sensor also

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

Then you should replace the O2 sensor and see if that will fix the problem. And read the codes again!

Acidhouse
    Participant

I just replaced my display. It was cheap and easy. I can’t believe I waited so long to do it. To the OP, you can sometimes get an autoparts store to read it for you. Don’t worry about being a learner, it sounds like your mechanic is one too. As for your issue, maybe vapor lock??

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lock

JaimieLove
    Participant

Thanks 🙂 I’ll have to look into that

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.