Could this be why the Quest gets a bad name

New Topics Forums General Discussion Could this be why the Quest gets a bad name

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Oldman 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Oldman
    Participant

Having just solved a mysterious random shaking in my wife;s Quest, i’m starting to wonder if the general impression of the quest being of poor quality is because of the banged up job done by grease monkeys either at the dealer or service places. Most minivan owners, i would venture to guess, do not work on their cars and just leave it to the “professionals” for whatever reason. We all know what we don’t do ourselves will be done by others, usually to our dissatisfaction. Anyway, to explain, the mysterious shaking came ultimately from the driver’s side brake, which had a torn boot on one of the pistons, and stuck caliper bolts that caused uneven wear on the brake pads. The inside pad was worn very thin while the outside pad was about three times as thick. On the way though, i had to replace the passenger side axle since it was making clacking noises when turning. On the driver side I found cv grease all over the strut, knuckle, tie-rod, etc. and the axle nut was only hand tight… someone did a poor job of replacing the axle. The brake issue also tells me it was done by a grease monkey. If the average owners get that kind of service from paying somebody, no wonder they would complain about the incurable shaking.

dtownfb
    Participant

What year is your Quest? Obviously this Quest was not shown any love by the mechanic. I own a 2004 Quest S with 135,000 miles. I haven’t had as many problems as others but there ae a few consistent problems that are maddening. LIke the undersized brakes that keep warping; the Plastic interior that breaks verys easily and the rattling driver’s side door (never been in a accident), to name a few things. I didn’t mention the radio that cuts off or the transmission module that acts up and forces to you to pull over and re-start the van.

Nissan struggled with the 2004 re-design. Nice looking vehicle but the engineering was lacking. Lots and lots of issues.

Oldman
    Participant

the quest we have is an 04 SE with a little over 138k. I agree the transmission is problematic but I think the tranny (at least in the se) is outsourced, not made by nissan. That tranny is used in other brands like volvo and gm. thankfully the one we got has probably been rebuilt and is doing fine for now. I say probably b/c the cooler hoses are clamped with worm clamps, which nissan doesn’t use at all, and the fluid is still bright red after 22K in our possession. Which brakes are undersized? The front caliper has two pistons, with good pads those are big enough to stop this 4400 pound beast. BTW, I didnt have to change the rotors. It stops smoothly.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.