Cracked exhaust manifold or broken manifold studs?

New Topics Forums General Discussion 1999 – 2002 Nissan Quest Cracked exhaust manifold or broken manifold studs?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  prgonzalez 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

prgonzalez
    Participant

Here is a new one, I guess. My van has the characteristic sound of exhaust leak. I have not confirmed, but quick inspections point out to come from the rear exhaust manifold side, the one close to the firewall. I have been reading other forums and found the VG30 engine on previous generation had a typical problem with manifold flange warping and studs breaks. Other manifolds used in Xterras or Frontiers talk about manifolds cracking. I have not found much about our VG33E on this generation Quest.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

Lokahi117
    Participant

Not me so far. And I’m sorry to hear that you are. Especially from the rear side, what a pain. I fear my rear and front valve cover gaskets are no good and I know the front leaks so I’ll have to replace it at least but I’m really hoping I don’t have to tear into everything to get all the way to the back. An exhaust manifold would be even worse.

prgonzalez
    Participant

I connected the hose of the shop-vac from its exhaust to the silencer outlet. I sealed it with marking tape and ran the shop-vac. Oh boy, the hissy noise was very loud in the engine compartment. I removed the heat shield from the rear manifold to inspect the flange bolts. That was a good think I saw all six (6) bolts and the flange is in good shape. The hissy noise comes from the piece of pipe that goes over the engine to connect with the front exhaust manifold piece. So, I have to get that manifold out and replace it. I could feel the air flow from the shop-vac in that piece of exhaust pipe close to the transmission fluid stick.

prgonzalez
    Participant

Lokahi,

to replace the valve cover gasket from the rear you have to remove the intake plenum. You have to remove the throttle body from the intake plenum and disconnect all vacuum hoses from the manifold. If you pay for that job, it is about $400.00 labor. I did it myself with care on a Saturday. At the same time, I replaced all intake plenum and throttle body gaskets, vacuum hoses, and PCV.

prgonzalez
    Participant

I was able to get the rear manifold at a local junk yard from a van with 166K miles. The removal of the rear manifold takes about two hours. It is necessary to remove all of the heat shields of the front manifold to remove the front union nuts. The rear nuts can be removed after removing the heat shield from underneath the van. This take some time. I was lucky the power steering pump was already removed from the junked van. One advice is to only use six (6) point deep sockets for all those nuts and use the longest breaker bar you can get it fit in the small space. After removing the nuts, you have to remove the studs using a E-Torkx socket. The studs are easy to remove. From the top, it is necessary to remove the EGR, air filter box, and battery base to get the necessary space to take the manifold out.

prgonzalez
    Participant

I finally replaced the rear manifold. The leak was at the thermal expansion joint of the manifold. Because the two manifolds are fixed to the engine, the pieces will expand and contract with hot and cold temperatures, specially when the engine is operating. The thermal expansion joint is in place to avoid cracking or breaking of any pieces, flanges, studs, etc.

I am not sure how to include pictures in this post. If you are interested, send me a message and I will be happy to send you the pictures.

The van is now 238,532 miles and rolling.

Pedro

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  prgonzalez.

yannipowers
    Participant

Hello,
    I just bought a 95′ that is near perfect cosmetic condition. It is for my newborn and so I want to work out the kinks that come with a 200,000 miles mini-van that was owned by a grandma, a very tidy grandma.
    I am a d.i.y. guy and can use all the great links that you have to offer that would help me restore this van to new. Would you mind if I picked you brain a little to help me restore this beautiful ride?
    I could use links for:
    1) repair manual (drive train)
    2) parts manual (rubber gaskests; windows, doors, ect.)
    I saw that you were the most active member, I would appreciate any help.
    Thanks 🙂

prgonzalez
    Participant

Yanni,

I will be glad to be able to help you with your new van. Feel free to open up new threads for specific issues.

Pedro

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.