Crank Position Sensor

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest Crank Position Sensor

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  gwiz99 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

gwiz99

Does anyone know where the Crank Position Sensor is on a 2004 Quest?

how come you need to change the crank position sensor? it’s located behind the engine block.

gwiz99

I just replaced the camshaft position sensors,and still having same problem. Sometimes it starts and runs fine, then others it just cranks over. Now i have all the lights on the dashboard on like another post on here is having.

Thought it would be the crank sensor, but after reading others, maybe it is a a rusted ECM. Any ideas?

Any help greatly appreciated.

tholmes69

I did this once as well, and it ended up that when re installing the rear cam shaft sensor, the angle you plug it in at can cause one of the pins to actually become bent. I would pull the sensor and see if it is the issue. Also, the sensor is essentially a magnet that detects a metal portion on the camshaft “gear”. If you have any internal metal flakes or contamination, they can become attached to the magnet on the end of the sensor and block the signal from being able to properly work. Pull them and clean them with a some WD40 and rag and reinstall. Found that out when trying to use a CL flush and cylinder “repair”.

tholmes69

I did this once as well, and it ended up that when re installing the rear cam shaft sensor, the angle you plug it in at can cause one of the pins to actually become bent. I would pull the sensor and see if it is the issue. Also, the sensor is essentially a magnet that detects a metal portion on the camshaft “gear”. If you have any internal metal flakes or contamination, they can become attached to the magnet on the end of the sensor and block the signal from being able to properly work. Pull them and clean them with a some WD40 and rag and reinstall. Found that out when trying to use a CL flush and cylinder “repair”.

dtownfb
    Participant

A bad camshaft or crankshaft sensor should trigger the “check engine” light. Considering how many people are having trouble with the ECM, that is the first place i would check.

gwiz99

Well, I am screwed now.

Afeter having all the starting problems like everyone else, I replaced the cam sensors. When i did this the car ran for a day and then died again. So now i had it towed to the dealer who said it would need a crank sensor for $280. I told them okay put it in. Then they called me back and said it wasnt that. I told them about the ECM problems people where having and asked them to take it out and check it for rust, they said it was fine. Two days later they tell me it is a bad engine harness. Now it is going to be $1000 installed and guranteed me it was that. I will keep you posted, at my expense.

gwiz99

Dealer know tells me it is the ECM after changing harness. I flipped out on him, and the dealer is picking up the cost of the ECM installed. This is still bullshit, because i would have went after Nissan to get my money back, and had not had to pay for a harness

gwiz99

Update-
    Dealer just called me to tell me it is now the ECM and they will replace at no charge. But i am on the hook for all the other parts that where not needed, which they will not admit.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.