Crunching/clunking noise when going over bumps

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest Crunching/clunking noise when going over bumps

This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  vekt 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

When I drive over bumps I can hear a chrunching/clunking noise when going over bumps from under the floor. I’ve replaced the struts, shocks, lower control arms, and sway links. I really don’t know what else to check.

CanadaQ2005
    Participant

When going over bumps. It seems that you dumped tons of money into the problem already, whoa!
    From my past experience such noise would be indicative of worn strut bearings (not sure I am using right term – those round things which bolt into the towers and accept the strut piston and its nut.

Do you have about 100k miles on your Quest? I would think that you should not expect noise like that from the bearings before 100k.

ctlobo3
    Participant

$560 and about 1 hour will solve your prob. If you lay on the ground and place your head in the area behind the front tire and look aft, you will see a rubber grommet about 3 inches in diameter. All of that is one piece and realy no prob to replace AND NO FRONT END ALLIGNMENT REQUIRED.!

What is that grommet called? Do you mean the CV boot?

By the way I had all those suspension parts fixed not cause of the noise I was hearing, but it was cause they were broken. The dealer showed me the control arms and they had excessive play in them and they were torn, and my shocks and struts were leaking.

CanadaQ2005
    Participant

But still this is horrible. There are old square GM vans on the road with 300+k on them and all those parts original.

fasi

This happens to my 2000 Quest all the time, but only when it is cold outside. It sounds like the spring on the strut it making the noise from being exposed to the cold temperature. It does not make this noise in the warmer months. I have 109,000K and it still drives fine.

joecang
    Participant

What is this rubber grommet called? My van is doing the same thing everytime I hit a bump, the front suspension makes a “THUD” noise and the back doesn’t. I checked the shocks and they are dry so those looked fine.

dtownfb
    Participant

My first guess was a bad bushing in the lower control arm but you already replaced the control arm.

You’ve already spent a ton of money on van. I would find a good independent mechanic and get a second opinion.

Johnny Quest
    Participant

We had to take the 04 we just bought Saturday back to the dealership this Monday for the same clunking sound. Van is absolutely MINT and as an SE really loaded but I don’t want to get slammed with a huge bill with no warrenty (116,000 miles on it but looks brand new and I am very picky).

Suggestions? Best place for an extended warranty?

I’ve been trying to get this sound fix and it’s damn near impossible. First they told me it was the crowl rubbing up against the firewall. They fixed it and the sound came back. Took it back it and they then said it was the stabilizer bushings. Fixed that and it still came back. Had the entire suspension replaced and I’m still getting the fucking sound. I’m sick and tired of spending money to fix this problem. I just gave up and can’t keep trying to get something fixed if the dealer isn’t sure it’s the problem. Fuck it

james0010

I m having the same damn noise problem.my dealer fixed it and the sound came back. They said it was the stabilizer bushings. Fixed that and it still came back. Goddamn it…
    puppies for sale

loewycar50
    Participant

I have the same problem with my Nissan Quest 2005 3.5s. I have not done anything yet because of financial hardship.The mechanic check tne Lower Control Arm and it is already have cracked.Rigth now I’m still using my car. Please can anyone can suggest a good advice with this problem. Thanks…

umakant

When you purchase a new or used Nissan in Richmond, you likely establish a relationship with the sales team that made the deal. That relationship can blossom into a years-long incentive program for all future purchases and vehicle services. Being loyal to our local dealership has its advantages, and here’s how to reap the rewards:

Ask for Loyalty Program Details
    Speak with your dealership about ongoing incentives for favorite customers. Many offer actual program incentives for those who come back year after year to purchase vehicles.

Use the Incentives
    Many dealerships will offer customers a discount on new vehicle purchases and are willing to give maintenance services like oil changes or tire rotations for free. Understand what kind of incentives are available to you and be sure to use them often.

Many dealerships will be glad to add you to a mailing list which they use to regularly send out coupons and rebate offers on vehicles, repair or maintenance services. These coupons can save a lot of money in addition to any loyalty program incentives.

Keep Coming Back
    Be sure to consult with your Virginia Nissan dealership on new vehicle purchases and take your current vehicle in regularly for maintenance. The dealership will keep a record of all work done as well as costs incurred. Customers will not have to worry about tracking down information if it is all contained in one place. Your dealership is experienced with the vehicle you own and have the ability to repair any problems under warranty, especially during a recall.

used mazda

Flush Valve: MJSI is committed to deliver innovative new products focused on water conservation for both residential and commercial toilets.

vekt

saludos soy nuevo en el foro y m gustaria saber si ya tuviste solucion mi quest hace lo mismo,ya remplace struts.no speak english vivo en veracruz ,mexico espero me puean ayudar gracias

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.