Dealer Service department diagnostic……

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest Dealer Service department diagnostic……

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  dtownfb 8 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

chrisr2003
    Participant

My quest did the no start thing again. My mechanic changed out the battery and put in a fresh one and it started right up for 6 months straight. Now its to the point where instead of poking around, we took it to a nissan dealership service department. After the diagnostics, they said I needed a new fuel pump. I asked the guy who is in charge of my case “Will this cure the starting problem for good?” The rep. said “I’m positive”. Now I know that, Moving parts=constant maintenance. Will this indeed “fix” the problem for good, or at least the life of the part? Should I push more to check the ecm for glitches? I just don’t want to drop all this money and then have it be just one of many ignition/fuel problems. My wife and I don’t mind spending the money as long as its money that fixes the problem and not prolong the actual stem of the problem. Does anyone have a take on what I should ask them to check specifically or do you think this fuel pump is the fix for a while? Thank you for the help!

CanadaQ2005
    Participant

Let me tell you a story of my 1993 Maxima, which is also Nissan vehicle.

When in 2002 it started stalling intermittently and fail to start, I had positive assurances from the dealer, that it was 1) distributor; 2) fuel pump; 3) computer. I stopped there and asked someone to fax me electric diagram of the engine. On that diagram I found that all units, which lost power during the stalling incidents, were powered thru a single switch. That was a $25 part from the dealer which I immediately bought and replaced. That fixed the problem for good.

Moral of that story is, they will give you a 100% positive assurance, but when a week later you will be back with the same problem, they will look you in the eyes and say: that must be a different problem, how do you know it’s same?

dtownfb
    Participant

Get a second opinion and have the ECM checked.

CanadaQ2005
    Participant

But who and how, do you think, is going to perform that magic ‘checking of the ECM’?
    Do you really know what checking the ECM is and how it is done? Do you know what ECM is?

The right thing to do is to monitor and observe all symptoms present when the problem occurs. Checking the components when the problem is not there will come back normal. That’s usually when you are told ‘$89 please’. After 3-4 times you realize that you are helping someone pay off their mortgage w/o getting anything in return.

dtownfb
    Participant

He should take it to another dealership/mechanic to have a look at it. He had starting issues 6 months ago and changed the battery. it worked for a while and now it is having the same issues. the dealer did a diagnosis and came back with a bad fuel pump. I’m not a mechanic but a bad fuel pump would produce other driveability issue. Also i haven’t heard (or read) of the fuel pump going bad in the Quest. I belong to 3 Quest forums.

Before changing the fuel pump, get a second opinion and check the ECM for rusting. It appears to be a common repair on the Quest and a bad ECM causes the issues the OP is facing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.