Do you think this is possible?

New Topics Forums General Discussion 1993 – 1998 Nissan Quest Do you think this is possible?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  iamstd2 5 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

iamstd2

Hello. I am new to this forum. I have a ’93 Quest XE running on 112k miles.

I’ve always been one to do unordinary things. So, that being said, does anyone think it’s possible to swap the VG30E with the VQ35DE from the 350Z, and replace the 4-speed auto transmission with a 5-speed manual from a Silvia? At first glance, it looks like there’s not enough room in the engine bay, and there’s no “hump” to make it RWD. Any thoughts?

prgonzalez
    Participant

That’s a very agressive swap. The main problem is also the engine direction. One is transversal while the other is in line with the chassis. After seeing all these different auto programs in Discovery channel, I believe the swap is possible. However, the question is at what cost and labor.

You might want consider a turbo or supercharger option though.

iamstd2

The reason why I wanted to do this is:
    – More power from having a direct-injected DOHC instead of a plain old SOHC
    – Drifting minivan? I think yes.
    – Better power-to-weight ratio for more nimbleness (I’m gonna remove the third row seats)
    – With trunk space and legroom, technically, it would be a practical “sports car”
    – It’s just weird and different

The cost and labor may be just about the only problem. While I think salvaging the parts wouldn’t be too hard, coming up with a way to make it work would be a challenge. Since the S13 drivetrain was designed with the transverse layout, it may be possible to squeeze the in VQ sideways like the original V6 and keep the standard drive gear, because I think it fits onto said transmission (I might need a bulging hood: 3.5L > 3.0L). I may have to rework the chassis to make room for the driveshaft and maybe even change the supension to compensate the almost-200% power increase. It’s a lot of work and a s***load of man hours, but with the help of some of my friends, this might work out.

I have thought about maybe bolting on a RB25DETT or SR20DET turbo, but both of those were designed for inline layouts, not the V layout. I don’t want to go buy aftermarket or custom made parts, because I’m trying to theme the car around the fact that you don’t need them to upgrade.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.