Engine does not rev up

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest Engine does not rev up

This topic contains 17 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Canada-Q2005 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

My elderly parents got stranded for a while in a Quest as it started up fine, but would not rev up when accelerator pedal was pressed.

Shut off the engine, waited for a few minutes, restarted and it was fine as usual.

Does anyone know what would cause that?

katy
    Participant

I had this. It was a sensor, I think a camshaft position sensor bank 2.

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

Thank you Katy, did you also get a code when it happened? I will need to read the code apparently, just waiting for the ordered OBDII reader to arrive.

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

Got a code: P2135 – Throttle pedal position sensor.
    Kind of makes sense that it would not rev up if it did not know that the pedal was pressed, but knowing Nissan’s poor quality electric components all too well I suspect it can be anywhere between the pedal and ECU.

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

So it happened again that the engine would not rev up.
    The parents made it home almost at coasting speed and parked in the driveway.

After a couple of hours we turned it on again to pull the codes and tried moving up and down the driveway.

It got into reverse fine and we pulled back a couple of feet.
    Then we put into Drive but instead of doing it as normal, transmission made a giant ‘THUD’ and would not move forward even at 3000 RPM. Tried switching into reverse and it made another giant ‘THUD’.

At this point we shut off the engine and left the van alone.

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

Now I got Pending code P0345, actually two of them, for bank “A”. Crankshaft position sensor. Does that mean the front one failed only? Or does it mean that both front and rear failed as I got two entries?

Looking at RockAuto.com I see two different Delphi p/n – front SS10817 {#23731AL61A} and back SS10818 {#237316J90B}, matching Nissan’s p/ns, but only one Hitachi p/n CPS0002. I would rather get Hitachi, but not sure if their part fits both front and rear.

Lexmark
    Participant

Have you fixed your vehicle?

My 2004 Nissan Quest have almost the same issue but no DTC.
    After starting the engine, engine won’t rev up when I pressed the accelerator pedal. But after about 30 seconds or often times about two minutes, I can rev up the engine. But when I put it in any gears, it won’t rev up but vehicle moves. It’s sometimes taking about 5 minutes to 10 minutes trying then it can be rev up and drive away.

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

Ordered the Delphi front/back sensors and waiting for them to be delivered next week. Then I’ll install and re-evaluate.

You should read the codes as well. Now that I have my own OBDII scanner, I realize how blind I was without it. It says specifically what is wrong and makes it possible to just get a part from Amazon/RockAuto and install it myself without having to dole out wads of cash to the mechanics.

Lexmark
    Participant

Finally,my Quest won’t go anywhere. Start and engine run but it won’t rev up anymore. I can only rev up additional of about 100 RPM when I pressed accelerator pedal. I replaced both CMP sensors but no any changes and no DTC retrieve. I’m thinking of faulty accelerator pedal or Electric throttle control actuator?

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

Possible! I was having the pedal position code, but cleared it about a month ago and it did not re-occur. Not sure how much we can trust Nissan in that regard though. If CPS replacement does not fix the issue, pedal position sensor is the next thing I will replace.

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

Solved, we have a winner!

Last night I installed the front row camshaft position sensor just received from Rock Auto (only took 3 days US to Canada), started the engine right away, revved just fine.

Cleared the P0345 Bank “A” codes, took the van for a spin around the block – she ran like a top, no more tranny thud when shifting.

No more codes re-appeared after the ride.

Hoping this is good news for everyone with the same problem!

Lexmark
    Participant

Good to hear it did works for you 🙂 Mine, I still don’t know what to do. It could also be an ECM problem hence there is a corrosion under it. Problem is that, there is no dealer in town to reflash the ECM in case I decided to replace it.

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

Did you pull the codes? You should, before you invest into ECU replacement. It may be something different.

Lexmark
    Participant

No codes at all.So it’s very difficult to diagnose. Yes, I don’t want to take a chance replacing the ECU. It could be as simple as relay.

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

Then you should arm yourself with the electric schematics from the FSM and try and make sense of the circuits that may be involved and see if the current passes through any relays and fuses, then replace them.

This is what I ended up doing when I had an old 3d gen Maxima that liked to stall randomly. Found that it was the relay powering the ECU, tachometer and fuel pump.

Best of luck, as I have no clue what else to suggest 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.