Fiberglass roving coming out of tailpipe etc.

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest Fiberglass roving coming out of tailpipe etc.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  michitoffele84 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

toddy1979

First time I saw the fiberglass coming out of the tailpipe was earlier this year after driving over a dirt road which had many washboards. I didn’t note anything new at that time. Last month similar situation on a dirt road with washboards and had even more come out. At this same time I failed to clear a rock in the road which thunked the undercarriage pretty well. Now I have a loud engine noise when in gear just above 2000rpm. Also of note, the service engine light has been on between these 2 episodes code P0420 (catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1) which prompted me to replace the pre-catalytic converter air/fuel sensor on bank 1 after which the light was off for just over a week. So that’s a handful of stuff that may or may not have anything to do with each other. My questions are these:

#1 Does the fact that the fiberglass is coming out the exhaust mean it needs to be replaced?

#2 If so, it appears that there is both a rear muffler and the main muffler (I attached the service manual pic). Does only one have the fiberglass packing or do both?

#3 Would this cause the rumbling noise at 2000rpm? From what I’ve read in the forums I could have a cracked mount or a loose heat shield, especially from hitting the rock. I haven’t been able to find anything on inspection however.

#4 Could an exhaust issue further downstream from the catalytic converter cause the service engine light to trigger with the listed code?

#5 What is this weird rash I have around… just kidding. Too many questions and to lengthy already

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

donnynlc
    Participant

I would say the packing in your converter is breaking up and either too much or too little air pressure is coming out the exaust witch will most definitely make the sensor turn the check engine light probably have to replace the converter

donnynlc
    Participant

ive never known mufflers to have packing but if it is indeed coming from the muffler that too would cause the sensor to go for the same reason the sensor detects the airflow that goes through the entire exhaust system

toddy1979

That seems to make sense. I did find the heat shield covering the exhaust on bank 2 just past the catalytic converter was bent up against the exhaust. When it pried it back the horrible rumbling noise stopped. So now I’m just dealing with the engine light and the fact that fiberglass has come out the tailpipe. No other symptoms however, drives normally. If anyone knows which muffler (main or rear) has the fiberglass roving give me a shout.

michitoffele84
    Participant

it appears that there is both a rear muffler and the main muffler (I attached the service manual pic). Does only one have the fiberglass packing or do both?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.