Foggy Headlight Covers

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest Foggy Headlight Covers

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  xmannd 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

elundeen

Just bought an ’04 Quest, and the plastic headlight covers are fogged/clouded pretty bad. The dealer said I could buy replacements ($100+ per side), but that it would probably happen again as (according to him) this is a design flaw. Does anyone know of any tricks to clean this in lieu of dropping $200-300 on a set of new ones? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

tacticaldriver
    Participant

when I purchased my 06 it had the same problem. The dealership offered a buffing service, and that part of the deal on my purchase. They looked like new when done. I know some Wal-Marts offer a similar service you could try that.

cirrus
    Participant

Go to your local car parts shop and buy a bottle of PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish by Meguiar. That stuff works but needs some elbow grease.

markathome
    Participant

I’ve seen this on many other car make/models. When the UV coating on your headlights wears down over the years, that yellow, cloudy, foggy appearance you see is oxidation. I’ve tried several options, which work for a month or so, I suspect until it too wears off, and they are back to looking bad.
    I’m going to call DrHeadLight.com and check on the cost…

elundeen

Thank you! I will look into those options… I heard someone say to use super fine grit sandpaper with a garden hose running water over the covers at the same time, but I may try some of these options first. Thanks again!

markathome
    Participant

I called Dr.Headlight and he came out and fixed both headlights for $159. They look like new!
    He wet sanded the oxidation off of the headlight then applied a clear expoxy to the headlight. They are guaranteed for life against oxidizing again. They look great.
    He said they do a lot of work for dealers and they fix and see this problem on all makes/models of cars. Pretty cool…
    I would strongly recommend this service.
    I had tried fixing this myself, but, after a few weeks/months, they would cloud back up again. Apparently those kits you buy only remove the oxidation and then attempt to protect the finish with wax, which wears off and allows the oxidation to reoccur.

2004questdad
    Participant

You might try one of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. 04 is in the shop right now but as soon as I get it back I am going to give it a try. Will give update then.

xmannd

In my opinion better buy the original headlight covers. I saw the cheapest car parts on Internet at Volkswagen Parts Geek and I was impressed the short time to bring your order.So you can check

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.