Front wheel bearings

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest Front wheel bearings

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Lanka1 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

dhl
    Participant

We have a 2006 Quest – 200,000 kms (125,000 miles). Never had any
    problems – until now. It needs a left front bearing. I am just
    wondering if anyone knows if $200 labor is reasonable or not for
    replacing it.

Oldman
    Participant

Is 200 dollars high? It depends. If the replacement is OEM or timken then it may be worth it. Any other brand is questionable. More importantly, confirm that the noise it’s making is typical of a wheel bearing going out. But if it’s a 2006 with 125k miles it seems premature for OEM bearing. Could be just the axle nut is loose and the bearing races got separated just a tad.

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

Just buy the Timken hub on Amazon and replace it yourself. It is not too difficult.

125K miles does not sound premature. My rear bearings had to be done 10k miles back and I am at about 100K miles now, the fronts just started buzzing louder than tire noise about 5k ago.

CreakyQuest
    Participant

Just make sure you take care to remove the abs sensor first before trying to pull the hub. It’s a pricey piece to have break on you.
    But I agree with Canada-Q2005, it’s not a tough job to do yourself. Personally I’ve shopped at Rockauto.com to buy most of my parts, just have to watch the shipping, otherwise, Amazon is always good.

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

When recently my mechanic was working on the front hubs, he could not remove either ABS sensor so rusted the knuckles were. He had to break them, remove, then cleaned the holes, drilled and re-threaded and inserted the sensors back in so that no wires left dangling while I am waiting for the replacement sensors.

So you might face the same situation if you are in the salt-on-the-roads area like I am.

Lanka1
    Participant

Replacement of one Hub Assembly should cost around $100 – $125 in Wash DC area by a private mechanic. do not take to a dealer or a shop as it is relatively easy to do. ABS sensors should be carefully removed and reinstalled. I would look for a mechanic on Craigslist or some place for a simple mechanical job like this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.