Gave up an took 04 Quest to dealer today.Trouble codes po300&poo11 Plz help

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest Gave up an took 04 Quest to dealer today.Trouble codes po300&poo11 Plz help

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Lokahi117 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Johnny Quest
    Participant

Okay we have been through stage 3 cancer (wife) have 3 children, and lots of related bills from the cancer.We both are working two jobs BARELY getting by so we can’t afford for the dealer to totally rip us off (anything will have to go the charge card if not covered by aftermarket CarChex warranty).

I work in the Car Care Ministry in our church so I know a fair amount about cars (we work on widows and single Moms cars for free) and one of the local stores pulled the codes for us (very nice of them!) the codes were po300 & poo11 which was “Multiple cylinder misfire” (the 300 code) and Intake camshaft position sensor/advanced timing” (poo11 code).

They couldn’t do the work there so we took it to a trusted repair facility and they worked all day on it replacing the two cam sensors and also the crank sensor and then looked through some service hole I am not familar with (they said that looked good) before they gave up. They were nice enough to remove the parts that didn’t fix the van and install our old ones and not charge us but said it needed to go to the dealership that had the right diagnostic machine to tell us what the van needs. They did discover the horriable clunking noise in the front end while they had it which was the lower A arms (bushings are shot).

Van is a 2004 Quest and running very rough and getting terrible gas mileage and just afraid it is going to totally jump time or something with my wife and the kids if we don’t repair it.

Anyhow can anyone please share any similar experiences so I am not in the dark when the dealership calls us tomorrow?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Kindest regards,

John
    North Carolina

youngck

P0011 – “A” Camshaft Position – Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)
    OBD-II DTC Trouble Code Description”A” Camshaft Position – Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)

What does that mean?A code P0011 refers to the VVT (variable valve timing) or VCT (variable camshaft timing) components and the car’s PCM (powertrain control module, also called an ECM). That consists of a few different components but the P0011 DTC specifically refers to the camshaft (cam) timing. In this case, if the cam timing is above a set limit (over-advanced), the engine light will be illluminated and the code will be set. The “A” camshaft is either the intake, left, or front camshaft.

Potential SymptomsMost likely a P0011 DTC will result in one of the following: hard starting, poor idle, and/or stalling. There are potentially other symptoms as well. Of course, when trouble codes are set, the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp, a.k.a. the check engine light) illuminates.

CausesA P0011 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following:

Incorrect camshaft timing
    Wiring problems (harness/wiring) in intake timing control valve control solenoid system
    Continuous oil flow to VCT piston chamber
    Failed timing valve control solenoid (stuck open)
    Possible SolutionsThis DTC code is a result of a mechanical fault of the VCT unit or related components, so there is no need for electrical diagnosis. Refer to vehicle specific repair manual to perform component tests for the VCT unit. Notes: Dealer techs have advanced tools and the ability to follow detailed troubleshooting steps, including the ability to test components using a scan tool.

youngck

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected –

Code : P0300 may also be accompanied by a 301-312. the number after the 3 indicated the misfiring cylinder

Definition : Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

Symptom : Check Engine Light Illuminated and engine misfire, may also detect loss of power or hesitation while accelerating

Cause : The engine will set this code when a misfire is repeatedly detected.

Repair : Replace the failed component on that particular cylinder. Most commonly the Coil Pack

Damage if not repaired : Engine damage to the cylinders rings and damage to the catalytic converter from raw fuel not being burned, not to mention the poor performance and fuel mileage.

When you pull the check engine light codes and p0300 pops up you may ask yourself, What do I do now? See if there is an additional code such as p0302. The number that follows the 3 ( 02 in this case) identify’s the problem cylinder. So the problem would be in the number 2 cylinder and in most cases can be cured by replacing the coil pack.

John – I sent you a personal email. Please check your email before you go to Nissan dealership. And take my advice!!!!!!!

youngck

P0300 Diagnostic Code – Random Misfire

Technical Description

Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

What does that mean?

Basically this means that the the car’s computer has detected that not all of the engine’s cylinders are firing properly.

A P0300 diagnostic code indicates a random or multiple misfire. If the last digit is a number other than zero, it corresponds to the cylinder number that is misfiring. A P0302 code, for example, would tell you cylinder number two is misfiring. Unfortunately, a P0300 doesn’t tell you specifically which cylinder(s) is/are mis-firing, nor why.

Symptoms
    Symptoms may include: •the engine may be harder to start
    •the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate
    •other symptoms may also be present

Causes

A code P0300 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
    •Faulty spark plugs or wires
    •Faulty coil (pack)
    •Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
    •Faulty fuel injector(s)
    •Burned exhaust valve
    •Faulty catalytic converter(s)
    •Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages
    •Faulty camshaft position sensor
    •Defective computer

Possible Solutions

If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.

If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I’ve also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.

Random misfires that jump around from one cylinder to another (read: P030x codes) also will set a P0300 code. The underlying cause is often a lean fuel condition, which may be due to a vacuum leak in the intake manifold or unmetered air getting past the airflow sensor, or an EGR valve that is stuck open.

Johnny Quest
    Participant

Thank you gentlemen very much for taking the time to help with the van problems as well as the well wishes for the wife and family (wife is doing very well now, money just tight from Doctor bills and over $1000 a month for crappy insurance but at least she is still with us).

Anyhow on to the van.It was already at the dealership when I got some of the advice here.

First call today was they needed an extra hour approved to pull the “plenum”.After discussing it I agreed.Later they called and they had discovered the problem. They said the PVC hose on the back valve cover had collapsed causing all these problems.Sounds a little too simple to me but guess I should be glad if that is “all” it is. They also recommended replacing that rear valve cover gasket(but not the front one) and the spark plugs which I thought was a good idea since they were already in there.

He said it will be about $750 for the entire bill and our $1300 extended warranty we bought covers none of the bill.

Hate to use it because it will take forever to pay it off but will just use the credit card and hopefully be done with this for a little while.Next project is replacing the lower control arms we were told the bushings are shot in (“Bangs” on every road bump or quick application of the brakes).

Well, as I said I hope they have got this right and Thank ya’ll very much for your time in responding.Really appreciate it because I know that took some time.

Sincerely,

John

Johnny Quest
    Participant

Thank you gentlemen very much for taking the time to help with the van problems as well as the well wishes for the wife and family (wife is doing very well now, money just tight from Doctor bills and over $1000 a month for crappy insurance but at least she is still with us).

Anyhow on to the van.It was already at the dealership when I got some of the advice here.

First call today was they needed an extra hour approved to pull the “plenum”.After discussing it I agreed.Later they called and they had discovered the problem. They said the PVC hose on the back valve cover had collapsed causing all these problems.Sounds a little too simple to me but guess I should be glad if that is “all” it is. They also recommended replacing that rear valve cover gasket(but not the front one) and the spark plugs which I thought was a good idea since they were already in there.

He said it will be about $750 for the entire bill and our $1300 extended warranty we bought covers none of the bill.

Hate to use it because it will take forever to pay it off but will just use the credit card and hopefully be done with this for a little while.Next project is replacing the lower control arms we were told the bushings are shot in (“Bangs” on every road bump or quick application of the brakes).

Well, as I said I hope they have got this right and Thank ya’ll very much for your time in responding.Really appreciate it because I know that took some time.

Sincerely,

John

youngck

John, contact the NISSAN CONSUMER AFFAIRS @ (800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261) and complain about all your problems and the bad experience that you have had. Nissan needs to answere to why most of us are having problems with our Quests. If you complain hard enough they will fix it for you for free. That is what we had to do. Nissan Quest should be on the LEMON LAW!!!!!

Lokahi117
    Participant

I’m seeing a lot of posts on here where people seem to come to ask a questions but none comes back and tells the rest of us what the problem was. Update us with what happened so we can all learn from each others experiences. Thank you in advance.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.