HAS ANYONE HAD TIMING CHAIN PROBLEMS?

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest HAS ANYONE HAD TIMING CHAIN PROBLEMS?

This topic contains 73 replies, has 50 voices, and was last updated by  Cfamily 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author

I have this annoying rattle sound around 2000 to 3000 RPM. I have no idea what it is. I had the van looked over by the dealer and they said the van was perfect no problems. I’ve had the van for almost 6 years. It’s currently at 92,000 miles and still going strong. Any ideas? I was thinking it was the timing chain but I hope not. Any idea how much you guys paid to change the timing chain?

mommavan
    Participant

I JUST had mine replaced last week. I, too was getting a rattle, but mostly when idle or accelerating at lower speeds. My local mechanic indicated it was my timing chain & it was about to go. He sent me to a Nissan service center to be replaced. I want to say it cost us about $1200-$1300. Wasn’t an easy price to swallow, but better than had the chain broke. Hope this helps. Good luck.

fitzy

mine was covered under factory warranty at about 40K miles (just under 5 years old). 2004 Quest – same rattle and it was the timing chain. they had to pull the engine.

markathome
    Participant

Same here, ours was covered under warranty around 40k miles a few years ago. At that time, they said all Nissan 3.5 engines could have the issue.

Buzzy
    Participant

I have an 04 quest that has been rattling at start up for the last two years. Each time the dealer had a different diagnosis. I was told everything from “you are using the wrong type of oil to you need an engine flush” I finally left it at the dealership last week and said don’t call me until it is fixed. Well $2900.00 later they discovered a broken plastic glide in the timing chain and said that it is no longer in warranty…..even though it would have been covered if the had diagnosed correctly the first time. No back up from Nissan or the dealership. Last Nissan I will be buying!

bclayt
    Participant

I just got my guides changed for my 2006 Quest. The Timing Chain tears up these guides & $1800.00 dollars later they were fixed. This seems to be a common problem on Quest vehicles, like I did THANK GOD, buy an extended WARRANTY on your vehicle if your going to keep this vehicle.

To date I have alredy logged $ 5300.00 on my extended warranty with $300.00 out of pocket @ 72,000 miles & from other people I have talked with this is not uncommon, $1500.00 investment can save you alot of mnoney & when you sell it you can either sell this with an up charge + transfer, or turn it back to the Warranty company for a prorated refund.

Brad

Carzzz
    Participant

does the rattling sound like this?

http://questdriver.com/node/708

No I’m not getting no whining or whistling sound. It’s just a little rattle from the engine compartment when accelerating. I’ve had so many problems with this van. So far I’ve changed almost everything except the engine and transmission. It’s a damn good thing I’m getting an Infiniti at the end of the year. I can’t trust the quest no more. I have the second quest off the production line. I purchased it in September 2003. I’m at 92,643 miles. Nissan is not crappy, it’s just that the quest was built in america which makes it crappy. Thats why I’m buying an Infiniti cause their true japanese cars.

I’ve changed:

All 6 ignition coils due to a loose ground wire which caused the coils to blister
    Rusted ECM (Engine Computer Module)
    Front stabilizer links and struts and shocks
    Front lower control arms
    All motor mounts
    All transmission mounts
    One front axle
    Starter
    Alternator
    2 O2 sensors
    Mass Airflow Sensor
    Trunks strut supports twice
    Radiator hoses
    Two front Catalytic converters
    Two front exhaust tubes and brackets
    Front Passenger side wheel bearing hub and anti-lock brake sensor
    had to have parking brake tightened up cause of rattling in the rear over bumps

u131195

I HAVE A ALMOST 51,OOO MILES ON MY QUEST. I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH THIS VAN. I TOO HAVE HAD A RATTLE UPON ACCELLERATION, WHICH STARTED THE FIRST YEAR I PURCHASED IT NEW. DEALER ALWAYS SAID THEY COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING. NOW THEY CAN WHEN THE WARRANTY HAS EXPIRED. THIS WEEK I WAS TOLD MY TIMING CHAIN WILL NEED TO BE CHANGED VERY SOON. ANYONE WANT TO JOIN ME FOR A CLASS ACTION LAW SUITE? I WILL NEVER BUY A NISSAN PRODUCT AGAIN.

Low-PSI
    Participant

Our engines are “non-interference”, so even if the chain breaks, it will not destroy the engine

My timing chain has gone out as well. It is a common problem with the 2004 vans. That is what the guy in the service dept told me today and he said Nissan does not plan on doing anything about it. Mine is covered under the extended warranty thankfully. I am not in favor of frivilous lawsuits BUT in this case, where do I sign with you. This is ridiculous. If it is a defect then they should have to cover it. I don’t think mine is covered under the lemon law. The problem with the defect is it can go out at anytime and CAN affect the engine which added together could be at least $7,500 and up repair. I’m sorry but this really makes me rethink about being a Nissan car buyer for the rest of my life. My husband has a 1995 Nissan Maxima with the original engine and transmission and it is still running. He delivers pizza for a second job and it has definitely taken a beating. Of course, we have repaired most of the major things but the van is only driven back and forth to work and a few road trips a year. I have it serviced regularly.

If I were you, I would contact Nissan directly and take them to task. If it is an intermittent rattle like sound then it is definitely the timing chain. The dealership should have known just by your description. When I told the guy he immediately said it was the timing chain.

I should have purchased the Honda Odyssey instead. The ratings for that van is very high.

Just an update for me:

Before anyone says anything I’d just want to let everyone know that my Quest was the 2nd one built off the production line.

I went back to the dealer and they said that the rattle was a little pre-detonation aka spark knocking. The VTC(Variable Timing Control) sensor was fucked up. Anyways I paid the money and got it fixed and the rattle upon acceleration is gone for good. Thank god it wasn’t the timing chain. I guess I bought an 04 Quest that didn’t have the timing chain issue. I’m at 96,000 miles right now and everything is good. My van runs like brand new practically. No shaking, no vibrations, nothing!! It’s quiet as fuck. I try to take care of it the best I can. Been pumping 93 octane since day one, keeping up with maintenance, using synthetic oil only. Anything turns up I get it fixed and many more than what’s recommended.

Even if it ever broke down on me I got 2 other cars to back me up so no worries. Spending money on the Quest doesn’t bother me cause I plan on driving my quest till the day the fucking wheels fall off and it doesn’t fucking run no more. And that would be what? Like a million miles, cause the VQ35 engines in our Nissan Quest’s are bullet proof. Any mechanic or person will tell you that Nissan’s VQ series are the best engines out there hands down. If you don’t believe me just search Google and MANY results will show up. It was on ward’s top 10 best engines for over a decade.

ricebike
    Participant

according to another site… you got it backwards…

the only generation of nissan quest that had a non-interference engine was the 1st generation w/ the 3.0L engines

FORD wanted nissan to change the engine to be NON-INTERFERENCE so it won’t leave a catastrophic loss when the TIMING BELT breaks…

plastics017
    Participant

Its my wife’s van, and one day through normal driving, she noticed a buzzing sound coming from the engine – we took it to our local dealer – and they said $1800 – so I went to another dealer (not so local) and they said $1200 – and that it WAS a timing chain issue. I contacted Nissan corportate for some “goodwill assistance” to no avail – as the vehicle only has 51K miles on it – and the killer part was – it was only 6 months OUTSIDE of its 5 year / 60K mile warranty. I argued that it was still 9K miles under the 60K, but while it was only 6 months over the 5 years, the mileage should count more… anyways – they said no. So, I got it fixed for $1200 – but I just got it back yesterday – and now it has an exhaust leak! I’m really worried the dealership is going to make me pay for that too – but it wasnt there when I brought it in. I was told by a couple of people that this repair required the engine to be dropped out to gain access – and then when I told the guy – you must not have connected the exhaust correctly after dropping the engine – he said – oh we didnt need to drop the engine – so DOES the engine need to be dropped to fix the timing chain? I WOULD LOVE TO START A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST NISSAN FOR THIS DEFECT – IT COST ME $1200 – A LOT OF TIME, AND NOW I HAVE TO GO BACK… How do we do it?

quest2005
    Participant

I was having the same issue of noises from the engine. I took it to Nissan and the mechanic said nothing was wrong. The exciting thing is that I did some reasearch the night before on recalls and service bulletins that nissan has for quest and one of the bulletins seemed to be addressing my noise problem. so when the service manager called me and said that they couldnt find anything wrong, I told him to look at the service bulletin and he calls me back and says that that was the issue. It would have cost me over $1k but due to the service bulletin they did if for free:

heres the link that I used:
    http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/latest-uploads/3454-ntb07-042-vq-engine-buzzing-whining-noise.html

And it took them like 5 days to fix it and they also gave me a rental.
    I think they shouldnt be charging you to fix this problem since they already have a service bulletin on this. I was told that service bulletin is a smaller version of a recall.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.