HAS ANYONE HAD TIMING CHAIN PROBLEMS?

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest HAS ANYONE HAD TIMING CHAIN PROBLEMS?

This topic contains 73 replies, has 50 voices, and was last updated by  Cfamily 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Author

dtownfb
    Participant

I would look for a mechanic that specializes in Nissans. This is a common problem with several variations of this motor built from 2003-2005. I believe one owner posted how he changed the timing chain guide himself and saved tons of money. Read this post on the timing chain issue: http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/quest/16432-67-cure-vq35-timing-chain-rattle-05-quest.html

april5683
    Participant

yes its the timing chain, and mine is out I been driving this like that for a year and I have a feeling it was like that when I got it. just got duped, also many other things are crappy and the door on the side is going to kill someone, no lie my aunt almost got mashed by the automatic door on the side back that opens with a button, the sensor don’t work, itll take your hand off or in my aunts case it almost left her tit less.

cgborja
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

To answer your question regarding problems with Nissan’s Quest timing chain here is what I have found so far and the actions I am taking. If you Google (Nissan’s Technical Bulletin Service Bulletin Classification: EM07-001c Reference: NTB07-042c Date: December 14, 2009) it will explain the problems individuals are having with their Maxiama, Altima, and Quest from 2004-2009.

I started hearing the buzzing noise around 70,000 miles so I started looking up the noise like everyone else and came across this information. There are a number of forums out there with people having the same problem. I contacted my Nissan Dealer here in Santa Rosa Ca to explain the problem. I was told by the service representative this was a normal problem they dealt with. He then told me to contact Nissan’s Customer Service and start a Case concerning the problem. This is excatly what I did. I ended up taking it to the Nissan’s dealer ship. The technician was able to verify that is was indeed the timing chain and it was due to the plastic parts the Nissan Bulletin speaks about. I contacted Nissans Customer Affairs center to report what the Nissan technician how found and see if they would pay for the repair since it was due to the faulty part Nissan placed in the vehicle.

A week later I received a phone call from the Service Center saying that they had denied my claim for reimbursement. However, when I asked for the reason why they did not provide one. I asked to speak to their supervisor which the individual reply there wasn’t one and the decision was final. A few days later I received letter from Nissan Consumer Affairs stating since my vehicle was outside its New Vehicle Limited Warranty they would not reimburse me for the repairs $1,849.78.

It is extremely frustrating to pay for repairs that Nissan is completely aware of as being faulty. Nissan has even switch from the plastic nylon parts to metal parts in the timing chain. I am currently speaking with a lawyer and have sent out a memo to several different individuals and agencies regarding this ongoing issue:

Mr. Carlos Ghosn CEO of Nissan North America
    Representative Doris Matsui Ca 6th
    Senator Dianne Feinstein
    Senator Barbara Boxer
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    Better Business Bureau Arbitration
    Federal Trade Commission
    Center for Auto Safety

carmine5
    Participant

My mechanic wont even touch it he referred me to nissan, stating that this has become a very common problem with the 04-05 nissan quests. When I called Nissan in sarasota the man there agreed that it is a problem with the 04-05 nissan and that no recall has been issued at this time. He said they are advising people to keep there receipts for this almost 2000 dollar job and if a recall is issued you can submit receipt for reimbursement. I asked him if there is any chance of a recall being issued he said honeslty maam in my 10 years of service I have yet to see that happen. So in another words NO. We bought this van brand new in hopes we would have a decent van for the long haul, it has been nothing but a money pit since we bought I will never again buy Nissan. Esp with the fact that they know this is a problem with the 04-05 that is why they changed the way they make them in 06. What a crock.

carmine5
    Participant

Is there someone you know that I can contact also regarding this issue? I have a 04 nissan quest with 71000 miles and the tensioners are broke on the timing chain. My mechanic doesnt want to touch it, he referred me to nissan. They quoted 1600 to fix.

Mommy2013
    Participant

I am so upset by this. I took the same steps you did only to get absolutely no where. I will never buy another Nissan as long as I live and I’ve been advising anyone that will listen to do the same. Their cars look nice but this timing chain issue makes it unattractive. Never again. Going to Honda next.

Mommy2013
    Participant

You are out of luck. Nissan knew this was an issue and is calling it an upgrade instead of a national recall. This needs to be national recall. I think I’m going to the 6:00 news on Nissan. Had enough.

markathome
    Participant

Yes…add me to the list of folks with this issue. Crazy that Nissan designed these engines to last under 100k miles. Planned obsolescence. Did they really think we would be repeat customers? And to think that Wards listed this engine as one of the best in the world.

I had this issue back around 20k miles and Nissan repaired it under warranty. Now at 114k miles, I’ve noticed the ever so faint tick noise, so, I expect it to be really bad in a few thousand miles.

I will not put $2,000+ into fixing this engine.
    At 114k miles, I’ve also got an occasional transmission thunk at interstate speeds between 4th and 5th gear.
    And, we all know the ECU corrosion issue exist, and if/once that happens, will cost another $1,500.

In regard to moving to other brands as some have suggested, I’ve read and heard of other horror stories with Honda Odyssey owners too. Their forums are lit up with their own severe issues. Actually a neighbor just had his Odyssey engine rebuilt at 61k miles with Honda agreeing to pay a percentage of the repair.

We’re going back to Ford/GM once we are ready to trade, hopefully before these issue occur.

Mark
    Original Owner
    ’04 Quest SE

Kim
    Participant

I can’t believe that Nissan is getting away with selling and not being responsible for the faulty engineering of the Nissan Quest. I have so many problems with my 2004 Quest, I have my doubts about Nissan and any of their products. Please include me in any correspondence regarding the timing chain and if there is anything I can do to help resolve the timing issues and make it fair for everyone who purchased a 2004 Quest, let me know.
    For me this isn’t the first major problem with my Quest but I am ready to junk it very soon.

siqalam

Hello,

I have read your story, I own a 2006 Quest. I have also the exact same problem like you and trying to get it fix. But it is very expensive. Did you get any response of your letter to Nissan? Or how things are moving?
    I am also planning the same, please share you story, may be all can be benefitted.
    Thanks

dtownfb
    Participant

Just repeating what everyone has stated, the 2004-05 (some 2006) Quest may be plagued with the timing chain issue. The heart of the problem is this engine has a tendency to burn oil and in some cases leak oil. If you extend the oil changes beyond the recommended OCI (3,750 stop and go; 7,500 highway), your Quest could be a quart or two low and you don’t realize it. I just changed the oil this weekend on my 2004 Quest (137k miles). I normally change it between 4500-5500 miles but this time it was 5800 miles (wife never told me the maintenance reminder went off). I noticed the van was noicier at startup. When I drained the oil, it was noticeably low; I estimate about 1 quart or so. After the oil change, the van sounded much smoother.

My point is watch the oil level in your van. If you are having the rattling while driving, it is likely too late. But if you aren’t having issues, keep an eye on your oil level.

Here’s a link to a discussion by a Quest owner who fixed the timing chain rattle with a $67 part. As far as I know, his van is still going strong:

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/quest/16432-67-cure-vq35-timing-chain-rattle-05-quest.html

Good Luck.

Cfamily
    Participant

FYI…

you can replace the primary and secondary chains/guides without pulling the engine in a quest. Recently did this in my driveway after watching the trurofm video on youtube…plus a bunch of other research.

The one thing I did need to do that he didn’t show (guessing due to the fact he worked on an altima) was I drilled a hole through the frame so i could slide the stud for the motor mount out. I couldn’t get that stud out any other way. Once that was out the timing cover could slide up and down freely. To make space to pull it out I also removed the thermostat and pulled the power steering reservoir to the side. I did NOT remove freon / ac lines…worked around those.

Kyle700
    Participant

Did you put #1 cylinder at TDC or just do it as it sat?

Cfamily
    Participant

I’ll have to go back and look at my notes. But iirc I rotated the crank a few times to check out the positions of the crank vs. the secondary chains…once you have the crank in its TDC position you need to make sure the secondary stuff isn’t 180 degrees out.

I only took off the left (front or bank 2) valve cover so I could hold the cams still. So the torque on the bolts holding bank 1 cams (row of cylinders closest to firewall) went through the timing chains. What I mean is I held the cams on bank 2 with a wrench while removing the bank 1 cam bolts. Did the same on assembly….put bank 2 cams in, then chains, then held bank 2 cams with wrench and torqued on the bank 1 cam bolts…so torque went through the chains.

I can’t imagine removing the intake manifold and right (rear or bank1) valve cover….that looked like a days work with tools I don’t have.

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.