Have to give it gas to start, then it idles low (500rpms)

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest Have to give it gas to start, then it idles low (500rpms)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  whymom 7 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

tfm2004

My wife’s 2004 quest won’t start unless I give it gas. Once it starts it idles low (500 rpms). It just recently started doing this and doesn’t do it every time. The guy at the parts store said he thought the idle air control valve in the throttle body is going bad. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, was it the part he spoke of?

thera

Sounds like the fuel filter, although not easy to replace as it is in the tank, I think I would start with checking the fuel pressure to the engine first. Mechanic with tools should easily be able to check it, if pressure is less its filter, if not something else.

whymom

I have the 04 Quest too. I recently had the low idle/give it gas to start problem. My mechanic said that is was a dirty/gummed up throttle cable. He cleaned it up and it’s been better. He said it would probably be better to replace the throttle assembly.(name?)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.