Heater only works at 2000RPM+

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest Heater only works at 2000RPM+

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  dgis80 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

dgis80
    Participant

For the last year our heater will only blow warm air if the car is running at 2000 rpms or higher. But, even then, warm air only comes out of the front vents. Our back vents will ONLY blow cold air, regardless.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be? I have three kids that obviously all sit in the back seats and we live in an area where winter temps can get in to the single digits. I have seen many posts with this same issue in Altima models, but no answers. I wish I had the extra money to take this to be looked at, but unfortunately that isn’t an option at the moment. So please help forum! You are my last hope before we freeze to death!!

Please! Any ideas? (And it isn’t the fuses…I checked those.)

CanadaQ2005
    Participant

I am assuming you already tried the settings, but you could have not.

Can you try to play with the mode setting and see if the heater air flow reacts to you changing the modes? To me it sounds like yours are stuck.

Also, play with rear controls – those on the dashboard enable or disable the knobs above the passenger sliding door. See to it that the rear dashboard knobs are consistent with the rear passenger knobs.

One of my colleagues had a problem with 2004 Altima blowing cold air in winter, so it must be a common problem with Nissans, though I never had it in a 1993 Maxima.

NYQuest
    Participant

Coolant level might be low or your Thermostat is broken.

markathome
    Participant

I agree, your most likely low on coolant. If that’s the case, you’ve probably now got air in the heater core in the front and rear. The dealer will know how to bleed the system to get the air out and get the coolant flowing again.

CanadaQ2005
    Participant

Of course it is possible, but the engine would most certainly overheat. It is highly unlikely that his coolant is so low that heater does not work and he is not noticing that.

In dealing with cars I’ve never seen one with low coolant and no signs of overheating. If the pump is able to transfer enough fluid to cool the engine, it will most certainly feed enough of it into the heater core. This is what thermostat is for and it is just as unlikely that in his vehicle it is already stuck on open.

CanadaQ2005
    Participant

You go to the dealer for coolant top up? OMG!

dgis80
    Participant

Thanks Everyone! I feel sheepish…it was indeed the coolant. Our levels weren’t SO low that the car would overheat, but they weren’t high enough to power the heater. $10, a couple fill ups later and the heater has been working like a dream. How crazy!! I should have posted on her months ago.

Thanks again….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.