help im in the middle of replacing my timing chain!

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest help im in the middle of replacing my timing chain!

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  NYQuest 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

92civeg
    Participant

was getting a loud rattle from the timing chain area on my 05 quest so i pulled the motor out and removed the chain cover, and i noticed that the “main” tensioner seems to be very weak and looks to have a small wire wapped around it ( was this some type of spring?) anyway do you think i should replace all the chains or just the tensioner, and can i unbolt the 2 12mm bolts off the old tensioner and just swap the new one in?

i really dont feel comfortable removing all the chains and if i can get the noise to go away by just replacing the tensioner that would be awesome.

please help i need this back on the road asap

NYQuest
    Participant

I’m not a mechanic and I don’t play one on TV, but I think you should replace what you can while you have it open. Isn’t that why they always recommend replacing the water pump when they replace timing belts?

What is the correct answer? I am curious about what should be replaces also. My timing chain is starting to make noise sometime and I know it will have to be changed soon. I know I can not do it myself, but I would like to know what really needs to be replaced when the mechanic starts to tell me everything must go.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.