How Can I Clear Self-Learning?

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest How Can I Clear Self-Learning?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  dtownfb 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Grabber

I just took delivery of my ’05 Quest and said goodbye to my beloved 2000 Frontier. The dealer delivered it and I got a service engine light on my first drive. I got tired of going from auto store to auto store to borrow their OBDCII reader, so I bought one from Harbor Freight for $35 (I used a %15 off coupon). I also have the factory service manual which is amazingly comprehensive. I have not yet had the opportunity to diagnose the vehicle but I am working two issues: 1. Either I have a bad oxygen sensor or I need to “clear self-learning”. 2. Even on full cold, the vent air is 10 to 20 degrees hotter than outside air.

I found on Ebay a ELM327 for about $30 which interfaces the car to a laptop. It appears that it is a sightly out of date model ( chip 1.2a ratther than 1.3).

I was wondering if anybody knows if I can clear self learning per Nissan bulletin EC04-025 using the ELM327. I also suspect that the hot/cold air deflector is not traveling its full range and lets hot air in possibly because the motor in not in sync with the temperature knob.

Any input from experienced Nissanites is appreciated.

dtownfb
    Participant

1. it would be easier if you just posted the code. I’m having a hard time understanding why you would have difficulty figuring out if you need a new O2 sensor or clear the self-learning. With the code we can help isolate the problem.

2. if you are just talking about regular air (not AC), it seems the temperature is always hotter then the outside air. I have this situation not only on the Quest but also my car, 2000 Olds Intrigue. I figure the air must get heated as it passes the engine. Normally, I just open the windows or turn on the AC and adjust the temperature.

2004 Quest S

Grabber

My code is P1273. My dealer ( Not Nissan ) has had the O2 sensor replaced twice but the error keeps coming back. I informed their mechanic that there is a Nissan service bulletin which says to clear learning after a repair. They sent the Quest to Nissan to do this because one needs a CONSULT computer to perform the clearing operation. According the the service manual, there are several possible causes for P1273. My dealer will be taking the Quest to Nissan to figure out the problem.
    Regarding the A/C: I have had a chance to read the service manual. It talks about adjusting the linkage to the air diverter door. I am hoping that a little adjustment will bring the temp down. The temperature remains the same regardless of fan speed so I suspect that the door is not traveling fully thus the mix ratio between outside and heated air does not change as fan speed changes.

dtownfb
    Participant

Here’s a link to the TSB. It talks about checking for exhaust leaks for and then replacing Bank 1 sensor.

http://nissan.justanswer.com/nissan/18zgi-2004-nissan-quest-check-engine

2004 Quest S

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.