How to bleed cooling system

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest How to bleed cooling system

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  prgonzalez 6 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

chewie1973
    Participant

I have an 05 Quest
    after about 1500 miles on an oil change we develope an oil leak somewhere in the vinicity on the oil cooler. (which is what the filter screws on to) we asked around and was told that it might be the orange o ring behind the oil cooler . today we replaced the o ring but in doing so lost about 1 gallon of coolant. we topped off the coolant but am afraid that we now have air in the cooling system. does anyone know where the air bleeder screw is located and the proper way to bleed the system. thanks in advance

Oldman
    Participant

I have had cars including a pos plymouth voyager minivan and never did the “proper” coolant refill. Nissan engines are not prone to getting air in the coolant system. That being said, you should refill when the engine is cool or warm (to avoid getting hot coolant sprayed all over when you open the rad cap). Turn engine on , refill and let it idle until normal operating temperature while rad cap is off, refill when level goes down. As long as there’s no bubbles its all good. Fill the overflow tank to max. If you want to be sure, get the coolant pH kit to be more accurate in the amount of water and antifreeze.

jack17

This was a useful post and I think it is rather easy to see from the other comments as well that this post is well written and useful. I bookmarked this blog a while ago because of the useful content and I am never being disappointed. Keep up the good work.

Air conditioning problems

prgonzalez
    Participant

If you top off the radiator with coolant, that’s all you need to do. Any pocket of air in the system will be purged out by pressure when your car heats-up reaching its operating temperature. The system then will get refilled from the coolant in the external reservoir.

What you need to do, is to watch the level of coolant in the reservoir after a full heat-up/cool-down cycle. If there was air in the system, the air should have been replaced with coolant of the reservoir and the reservoir level would be low.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.