How to teach the Quest TPMS to recognize and sync with new wheel sensors (with pictures)

New Topics Forums General Discussion Wheel and Tire How to teach the Quest TPMS to recognize and sync with new wheel sensors (with pictures)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Jimmy Newtron 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Jimmy Newtron
    Participant

After buying winter tires + rims with TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) sensors I quickly learned 4 things:

1) The van does not automatically recognize/learn these new sensors
    2) The stealership wants between $50-$90 to reset the TPMS computer to “see” these new sensors
    3) This was going to be an ongoing cost as you have to re-teach the van every time you switch wheels (so in most cases, this would be a twice a year expense)
    4) It’s actually very easy to do it yourself (even if the dealer implies it’s not)

So to make it as easy as possible, I documented the procedure step-by-step in the hope this helps many of you avoid the unnecessary expense and hassle of resetting your TPMS every time you change your winter/summer wheels over. Below is the text version but I also attached a PDF version with photos)

Tools Needed
    1 X 4″ long piece of wire (I just used a chunk of regular lamp cord)
    1 X TPMS sensor triggering tool (I bought the ATEQ VT10 for $105 + S&H)
    BTW, you can do this without the fancy TPMS Trigger Tool but I think its too much hassle. If your interested though, I posted those instructions at the bottom…

Step 1
    Locate the DLC (Data Link Connector) for the OBDII port (see photo #1). It’s the rectangular white connector just under the storage shelf directly above the gas petal. Taped to it is a single square white TPMS connector, which is what your going to use to reset the TPMS system. You may find it easier to access this connector if you pop out the DLC connector. To do this, simply press firmly on both sides and push up; it should easily slide up and out.

Step 2
    Turn the key to the “On” position but do not start the van. All the dash warning lights should turn on and then go off. Once that happens, take your 4″ long wire and insert and hold one end in the TPMS connector and touch the other end to the DLC metal bracket on/off 5-6 times within a 10 second time period (you might hear a faint click every time you touch the bracket). If all goes well, the TPMS Warning Light should now be flashing indicating that you are now in the TPMS “learning mode”.
    Note: I’d skip buying any of the various tools sold to activate this learning mode as the wire trick is dead simple and you only need it for 10 seconds (you remove it once the TPMS light is flashing)

Step 3
    Now take your TPMS Trigger Tool and starting at the driver front, hold the antenna up besides the valve stem and press the Schrader TPMS sensor activation button (it’s the left button on the VT10). Hold the button down until the yellow light starts to flash (the lights on the van should also flash once to acknowledge its read the code as well). Then repeat this procedure for the Passenger Front, Passenger Rear and lastly Driver Rear (in this order). Should take no more than 1 minute to do all 4 tires.

Step 4
    Confirm that the TPMS Warning Light has stopped flashing. You should now scroll to the Tire Pressure screen and make sure that the tire readings are working (no more ** stars). If this is the case, congratulations, you’ve just finished programming the new TPMS sensors and you’re good until the next tire change over.

Programming the TPMS without using a Trigger Tool
    I personally find this to be a too cumbersome (and unworkable if you have nitrogen in your tires) but it is a adequate (and free) solution. The procedure is the same except that you need to adjust the pressure in each tire to the specific pressures listed below. The TPMS computer figures out the wheels actual location based upon the psi so you need to be almost spot on:

DF to 34psi PF to 31psi
    DR to 28 psi PR to 26psi

Then you put the van into it’s TPMS learning mode (Step 2) and drive around for a while (10-20 minutes) at speeds over 30MPH until the TPMS sensor stops blinking. Note, you may also have the warning light come on a short time later as 1 of the tires is under the 28psi warning threshold; this will go away once you refill the tires. Then put all the tires back to their recommended pressures to finish up.

Hope everyone find this to be a useful guide,
    Jimmy

peter_fazio
    Participant

Jimmy,

Thank you for the great writeup and info concerning resetting the TPMS sensors. I just switched over to a new set of wheels/tires and had to do the sensor relearn. Your procedure worked like a charm. My only trouble was that I could not get the ATEQ VT10 to reset the sensors ( I never received a “flashing light” acknowledgment from the van). I wound up using the alternate method, by varying the tire pressures and then driving in TPMS “learn” mode. The blinking TPMS light went out within 5 minutes of driving over 30 mph. Worked like a charm. After that I just reset all my tire pressures to 36 psi all around and all is happy with the TPMS system. Thanks for the great info !

Pete Fazio

Jimmy Newtron
    Participant

Hey Pete,

Well that’s strange. When you use the VT10, all you usually need to do is hold it up against/beside the value stem (touching the rim) and press the left button (the right button activates other types of sensors). The light on the VT10 should start flashing and within 10-15 seconds the sensor will have sent it’s signal. Not sure why that didn’t work for you…
    It is great that you could use the other method but as I pointed out (and you now know), it’s a PITA (pain in the ass) procedure…

Glad I could help,
    Jimmy

lostandlistening
    Participant

Our tires are 44 not 36psi so what should we do?
    By the way we are useing the version without the trigger tool. we have a nissan quest from 2007.

Jimmy Newtron
    Participant

Use the same procedure and after the van recognizes the tires, adjust the psi to the recommended setting. BTW, this procedure should work on 2004-2009 vans…

johnq
    Participant

Thanks so much, Jimmy, for this awesome article! And I’m especially grateful for the PDF with clearly marked pictures. This is really great.

aukfan33
    Participant

I own a 2008 Quest and recently had to replace a sensor. Put it in learning mode with no problem, set the tires to the described pressure and drove. No luck. Even tried putting tires at the pressure after warming them up. I started to buy the VT15 (replacement for VT10) but when I called ATEQ I was told that this trigger tool would NOT help to reset the sensors and load them back into the vehicle computer. I just spoke to Discount tire and was told that the ONLY way to reset Nissan sensors is through the OBDII port. I live in Belgium and no shop (including the stealership) will touch a US spec vehicle.

Extremely frustrating as I don’t want have the stupid light in my face until I can get the vehicle back to the US.

If you have a way that this can be done I’d love to hear it.

Bigguy 59
    Participant

I used the above procedure today to reset my tpms on my 2007 Quest, I
    used the procedure without the trigger tool and it worked perfectly.
    Thank you Jimmy you saved my a big headache and another $100 at the
    dealer The only thing I might add is that on my 2007 there were 2
    connectors next to the OBDII connector, the TPMS was the one with a
    single wire Blue with a stripe.

Jack102
    Participant

Hi Jimmy
    I just recently found this post since my Quest 2007 has the same problem and needs to reset the tpms. I am wondering since my car is equipped with PAX tires (run-flat). Will your method work for PAX tires?
    Thanks!!

masikus54
    Participant

Where is pictures?

Jimmy Newtron
    Participant

Strange, not sure what happened to the PDF but here is a link to the original one

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Jimmy Newtron.

anotherbri
    Participant

Just curious….on my 2007 Quest. If I am looking at the on-board display and the 1st and 4th tire pressure readings are showing asterisks, would that be representing the DF and DR wheel sensors? And would that also mean that those two sensors have burned out batteries? I am wondering if I should replace just these 2 sensors at my next tire purchase (which will be very soon), or replace all 4 since the other 2 may burn out soon as well. Any suggestions or advice? These 2 particular sensors have been showing asterisks for about 2 years now with the dash light flashing. Also, what is a good replacement sensor and where is a good place to purchase?
    Thank you all!

Jimmy Newtron
    Participant

I would replace all 4 if you’re buying 4 new tires. They last up to 10 years but your mileage may vary:-). If you are just replacing sensors, no saving doing all 4 so just change out the DF and PR now and do the other ones when they fail.

BTW, I bought a set of 4 sensors from the dealer for my set of snow tires @ $40/cdn a piece. Seemed reasonable and I didn’t have to worry if the aftermarket ones would work with my system.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.