How's your antenna reception??

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest How's your antenna reception??

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  flymaus 11 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Quest-ion
    Participant

Hello All,
    Just bought a used 2004 Quest SE. Love everything about it so far, except the antenna reception and sound quality of the speakers. Seems it’s weak in pulling FM signals compared to my other cars that have antennas built into the windows. No matter where I am, the stronger stations still get out of stereo (ST) mode. Weak stations is just unbearable. I live in Bay Area, CA where Radio reception is no issue with any late model cars. But it seems like I am driving a van with a broken antenna. I did see a service bulletin in regards to this so I will have Nissan check it out soon. Just wondering if any of you had the same issue.

Also the sound quality is pretty bad as well. I know that my antenna issue can affect this, but even playing a cd sounds washed out. Like there are no tweeters, I have to raise the treble to the max to get only decent highs. I am not an audiophile, nor have I ever bought any aftermarket speakers, but I do know that the sound quality is below what I expected from Nissan’s Premium Sound Package. Anybody know the specs of the speakers in these SE’s? Have any of you replaced with aftermarkets speakers? I may just go to Nissan and test out their new Quest’s sound system and see if my stereo system is just hosed.

Thanks….

QuestDriver
    Keymaster

TSB 04087B: They should replace your headunit, which is the cd-changer unit. This involves taking apart the entire dash, just like the ipod install pix on our site.

My FM and AM reception in our 2005 is awesome compared to my Volkswagen. It should be noted that VW radio tuners are terrible. Still, we’ve had no issues.

Beau313
    Participant

I too have bad radio reception. Nissan told it it was where I live. I have owned other vehicles with no problems with the reception….

flymaus

Just got the 2004 SE with everything except DVD navigation yesterday. Yes I’m upset with the stereo… The grills say Bose but…I’m not sure… I have a Mercedes E320 with a Bose stereo and the comparison is SILLY!!! I’ve tried setting the tone controlls and it’s not a well done system. The tweeters are not in the side mirror corners like they could be (are in the E 320) that placement gives a very wide stereo field. The tone is muddy and blurred ther isn’t any high response and like the previous poster said you have to crank to the highs up to un natural sounding levels…

I don’t know what can be done about it. Before buying it, I thought the stereo was the one thing I wouldn’t have to replace because I loved the Bose E320. But now…??!#@#%

But I still love the SE… NOthin compares to riding in the back with all the sunroofs… it’s an airplane.

flymaus

Sorry for the mild retraction here. TO be fair thought we had extensively tried the Radio and it sounded flat. We tried the DVD and of course that goes through the radio… SO FLAT AGAIN. DVD though Radio in OUR SE? 88.7 FM… Came from the dealer that way, is that right? Anyway fianlly put a CD in. We have Mp3 in the MBenz… Sounds GREAT like a Bose high power stereo with the frequencies set for the van specific resonances. SO I guess I learn how to MOd the DVD to route through the SAT or CD? can someone let me know if that DVD set up is correct? thanks!

QuestDriver
    Keymaster

You DVD player should have a direct connection to the stereo if it was installed OEM. RF modulation stinks, you will definitely want to address this with the dealer or DIY a patch to the SAT input.

flymaus

It’s a 2004 SE still under full factory warranty. I wouldn’t know what was stock and not. I can tell you the DVD/CD/Mp3 player under the Pass seat is a PowerAcoustik PADVD350 and the 2 DVD flip down LCD’s are made by Drive. Is that stock stuff for DVD systems in Quests? Thanks so much EVERYONE for all the good info.

QuestDriver
    Keymaster

The OEM DVD player and screens are myron & davis. Your’s is after-market. Nothing wrong with that, but you will want to address the audio issue. Buying used, you’re probably on your own for changing it. You can use the iPod auxilliary input to the SAT port instructions to hookup your DVD audio. You will probably want to run your wire and place your jacks in different places though.

00QuestSE
    Participant

My dad has a 2000 Quest SE and that display on the radio died about 2 years ago, but it comes back every few months and stays on for about a week. Does anyone know what this could be? I’m think wiring, but I don’t want to take the car apart.

flymaus

Thanks for the posts… I appreciate the info. I guess I’ll wait until HD DVD / BluRay versions come out and then upgrade! Ahhh techno-lust… Thanks again -Happy Quest-ing!

flymaus

IMHO For the Built in CD- I like Bass +2 Mid +3 and treble at 0. This seemed to be the best way to balance the overbright treble response and get some deep bass and have some mid range stereo imaging for the voices…

I also like going R1 for the fader about 50% of the time for a more 3D sound if the fronts are too hot and I need a more natural sound.

Also (Ocassionally) to make it sound more natural (for high detail trance / techno or anything recorded in the last 5 years that was mastered very “brightly”) I use the above settings and sometimes do -1 for the treble. You can listen to it slightly louder and not have it as fatiging and get more mid range detail in some recordings and the highs can out shadow the other frequencies -sometimes. Although it sounds like putting dolby B/C on recordings that weren’t recorded with it… (that’s old casette tape talk -to the kids- I’m 38 now)

For the radio you’ll have to use the above settings and then crank the treble to +4 or +5. But it still sounds bad… So don’t use the radio…

Let me know if you try it and like it!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.