Intermittent sliding door problem (cold weather related?)

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest Intermittent sliding door problem (cold weather related?)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  peter001 8 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

CanadianQ2005
    Participant

Bought a 2005 Quest SL with 2 sliding doors (passenger power, driver manual) a couple weeks ago.
    As soon as the temps dropped below 0°C the doors started failing to open one or both at a time.
    They jam after opening for a crack, about 1/2″ of the rear edge backs out of the frame.
    Last night I was able to wiggle the driver door out and it opened every time thereafter.
    Sprayed silicone onto the top and rear weather stripping after reading this forum.

As soon as I opened the driver door, the passenger door could be open w/o effort. Strange?

I think I have a theory now, that can explain the cold jammed doors problem.
    The rear weather stripping is attached to the body along its rear edge, while the front edge is free floating.
    If the strip freezes to the door, it jams the door while it opens. if the strip was attached along its front edge, the problem would not have existed. This must become a recall!

Also, a question: can I get a 2nd remote cheap anywhere? The dealer wants 100+ bucks plus programming fee. It’s so inconvenient to have one only!

Three things are killing North Americans: MSG, sugar substitutes and fluorided water. Google for more info!

Cfamily
    Participant

I bought a second remote for my 2005 quest SE (dual side sliding doors) on ebay for just under $20. It came with instructions on how to pair it up with your quest (they call it programming). It took less than a minute to pair it up. Funny thing, he sent me a remote without the button for the drivers side sliding door at first (for the SL I think). Exchanged it by mailing it back…all is good now.

CanadianQ2005
    Participant

Just bought two extra remotes for a fraction of dealer price.

Three things are killing North Americans: MSG, sugar substitutes and fluorided water. Google for more info!

CanadianQ2005
    Participant

Silicone spray does not really work. The doors keep freezing.
    But the good thing is that I determined that it’s the top strip which jams the door, not the rear one.

Does anybody know of anything that can be applied to rubber weather stripping to prevent ice from sticking to it?

happy_es300

hey every one, im from toronto canada so ive experienced this far too many times, i did a bit of research and found out that graphite lubricant spray is the best for the door seals as it is a dry lubricant and repels moisture, i sprayed some onto a cloth and rubbed it into all the rubber seals on the power doors and the power trunk, seems to be working great so far and the doors open up perfectly fine even when its -13 below out, -24 with the windchill,
    *this forum is so dead we need to get more traffic and a better layout

2004 Nissan Quest SE -Silver Mist Metallic on Rouge Leather- //LOVE IT//
    2000 Lexus ES300

CanadianQ2005
    Participant

What is the product name and who sells it?
    In the mean time I used some greeze from that part on the slinding door that locks into the frame and the doors seem to keep opening thru the cold days.

dtownfb
    Participant

Not sure of the brand name but you should be able to find the graphite lubricant at any auto store or hardware store.

2004 Quest S

dtownfb
    Participant

Not sure of the brand name but you should be able to find the graphite lubricant at any auto store or hardware store.

2004 Quest S

Attached files

peter001
    Participant

What is use of mixing some lime in the 1-1/2 ltr water to drink early monring after a walk of
    2kms?
    Home Water Filter(http://www.coldwaterfilters.com/)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.