Knocking Sound When Braking

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest Knocking Sound When Braking

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kyle700 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

smithers2131

I have a 2007 Quest S that I took with me to Japan when I moved overseas a few years ago. Recently, I have been getting a slight, but gradually louder, knocking sound when I apply breaks. It does not happen every time but I notice it more when I am at lower speeds and I can feel it in the brake pedal. I recently replaced the front wheel bearings so I don’t think it is that. Any help diagnosing this would be very helpful so I can at least narrow it down for the mechanic when I take it in for a look. Living in Japan is great, but not when it comes to getting this car fixed.

smithers2131

Took the car in for a brake and rotor inspection and found nothing. Rear brakes getting thin but nothing to cause the knocking sound. Besides, noise is coming from the front of the car. However, the mechanic doing his full inspection noticed the transmission fluid was dirty and needed replaced. Had that done and the sound is gone, at least for now. Any of you gear heads have an explanation for this? Only thing i could think of is that I am getting that sound when the car is down shifting when apply brakes.

b_vova
    Participant

If you feel the knocking through the pedal it’s ABS working

smithers2131

If its the ABS, then its not working right. The ABS should not be engaging for normal braking at 25 mph. Good idea though, I will start troubleshooting the ABS in the morning. If it is the ABS, do you think I could just pull the fuse and not use it at all? Or would it be tied into other components?

b_vova
    Participant

It’s really better to buy OBD II scanner (like ELM327 – 30$) and check the errors in the ECM. Check also AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE page 54 for test whithout tools.
    Do you have lighting ABS SLIP TCS? Check speed wheel sensors (they works with ABS)…

smithers2131

No, I am getting no lights or any indications thats something is wrong with the car. I took it for a drive around the flight line today with the TCS turned off, thinking that it would turn off the ABS, but I would still get the knocking sound/feeling when I applied brakes. What makes it even more frustrating is that it does not do it every time so I can not isolate when it happens. Most of the time is when I apply lightly on the brakes at lower speeds. Going to purchase the OBDII today.

Took it to Mount Fuji yesterday and on the way down it was even worse. Kind of expected it really. Having brake pads replaced once they arrive in the mail to see if that is a the cause (they are due for replacement anyways).

Thanks for the help.

b_vova
    Participant

If you switch off the TCS =>ABS ‘ll working also. Like this you can find a fuse who ‘ll switch off the ABS function (ABS TCS SLIP lights ‘ll switch on). I think you have a problem with one of speed wheel sensors bad measuring the speed… If it’s true you’ll have P1574 error code.

Kyle700
    Participant

Check the lower control arm bushings.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.