Leaking valve cover before and after gasket change

New Topics Forums General Discussion 1999 – 2002 Nissan Quest Leaking valve cover before and after gasket change

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  prgonzalez 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

robertcgs
    Participant

1999 Quest, leaks at valve cover on both rear and front. So we change the valve cover gasket. No good, still leaks we can see where and when we drive we smoke and burn from the oil leak. Also every gasket is broken at the same point. So what can i do to fix this?

Lokahi117
    Participant

I am having the leaking valve cover gasket issue too. I am sure hoping that it isn’t the back as well but it smokes pretty badly.

Did you replace both the gasket and the screw grommets ? The auto parts store quotes me both ways when I call.

I wonder if the valve covers are bent or warped at those locations perhaps? But your saying that the gaskets are broken at the same spot? Meaning even the new one you put is cracked or broken again at the same spot as the old one?

Lastly, did you ever solve this issue.

I love my quest van and intend to keep it going

prgonzalez
    Participant

Hi Lokahi117,

Yes, you have to replace both, the gaskets and screw grommets to have a durable work done. I used FELPRO brand and is still holding good after 50K+ miles.

When you replace the gaskets, clear the surface of the head and gasket. Then apply a thin layer of new oil to the gasket as you install the covers back on.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.